Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slight problem with dvd drive/reading

Options
  • 03-05-2005 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭

Whenever my DVD Drive (HP DVD Writer 300c) is reading a cd at a high data rate, which it normally does, whatever music i'm playing (in winamp 5.0.8e) starts to skip, and become juttery. The music i'm playing is mp3 192kbps CBR. My sound card is a Realtek AC'97, CPU is an Athlon XP 2600+ 1.91GHz, 256MB DDR333MHz Ram and WinXP SP2. Its a fairly recent problem, and gets annoying. It also happens when burning CD's/DVD's. It slows down other operations aswell. Any idea whats going wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Is it reading at a high data rate because you're ripping the tracks into mp3 perchance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Well, at about 8X it starts to jitter, while ripping mp3's, installing games, burning, any fast interaction with the drive drags the system to a crawl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

is your drive in PIO mode? Go into device properties and check the properties of the primary/secondary IDE channels/controllers. That should say whether your drives are in DMA or PIO mode.

PIO is bad, DMA is good. PIO eats CPU time, DMA doesn't.

primary channel was DMA, secondary was PIO, how did it change?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Windows sometimes gets helpful and switches the drive to PIO if it detects errors in reading. Which can happen at almost any time for no particular traceable reason. Quick switch back and yer grand till next time.

• Advertisement

Wait, i've 2 options, PIO only, or DMA if available. Picked DMA, still the same. Restart, check BIOS. Set PIO mode to Auto and DMA to UDMA-2. Boot up, current mode, PIO. Why won't it let me choose DMA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

My advice, boot into safe mode (if possible, not stictly necessary) and then remove the secondary channel from device manager. Then reboot back into normal mode, and it should reinstall the secondary channel and put it back into DMA mode.

If that doesnt work, just reinstall the IDE drivers that are supplied with your motherboard, or just windows default ones.

OK, went into device manager, not in safe mode, uninstalled the Secondary IDE Channel, refeshed, it reinstalled, along with my drive, and its working fine. Thanks.

Advertisement