Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping progs on startup

Options
  • 03-05-2005 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,180 ✭✭✭✭

what do you type into the Run textbox to get see and stop/change the programs that run automatically when windows xp starts up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

msconfig

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jayneemac

Here is a nice little free applet I found while googling:

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

It installs into the control panel & allows you to view & set what progs boot with windows, whether they're called from the registry or the startup folder in windows.

i think msconfig has to run at every boot if ust it to disable apps/processes?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

No, you can tell it not to.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

also, if you wanna configure applications running as services, go to Administrative Tools in Control Panel, and open Services.

Or, quickly type in Run "services.msc /s"

Now you can see everything setup as services, which one running automatically at boot, and which ones are not...

Careful, don't mess up... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭sillild

Tauren wrote:
    what do you type into the Run textbox to get see and stop/change the programs that run automatically when windows xp starts up?

If its not in the startup folder

then

RUN "regedit"

then goto

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\"blah"

and

HKEY_USERS\defaults\Software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\"blah"

where "blah" =

run
    runonce
    runonceex
    runservices
    runservicesonce

remove entries you do not want to load at startup

as mentioned above

Caution required

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

sillild wrote:
    then
    RUN "regedit"

msconfig shows all those as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I use a little program called StartupMonitor , it tells me whenever a program is put into the startup list and lets me allow or disallow it, handy for keeping the startup programs tidy and under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jayneemac

sillild wrote:

then

RUN "regedit"

then goto

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\"blah"

and

HKEY_USERS\defaults\Software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\"blah"

where "blah" =

run
    runonce
    runonceex
    runservices
    runservicesonce

remove entries you do not want to load at startup

as mentioned above

Caution required

the program i mentioned those all of the above!

as someone else said, use services.msc to disable windows/3rd party services...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Ive always used msconfig and that show pretty much everything, no point in downloading a whole new program to do something that windows already has a tool for.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if it's spyware or some other mystery apps that are bothering you then you can't beat Hijackthis! (google it).

it will show you every little tiny thing that's being run at startup regardless of what it is, and gives you the option to remove them. unfortunately it won't let you re-enable things after you've removed them, so you best make sure you dont make any mistakes or you may end up fooked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement