Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics drivers problems ... HELP!

Options
  • 03-05-2005 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Been having problems with my computer lately and have narrowed it down to the graphics card. Hopefully its drivers problems and not hardware.

I have a X800pro.

Anyway, i was using the latest omega drivers but they started causing me problems and VPU recover set in and reset something or other, keaving me needing a reboot to get back to normal. So I switched to the latest DNA drivers and all seemed well until today ... I was just listeing to music and my pc just rebooted...leaving the monitor acting up a bit. Rebooted itself again not long after.

So I try installing the Catalyst 5.4 drivers again (theyve never worked for me - thus using omega and dna). I uninstalled all drivers so XP autodetects and installs default ones or something or other. Then I try and install the 5.4 catalysts ... during the installation i get this error:

The instruction at "0x10105fe8" referenced memory at "0x00006873". The memory could not be "read".

I can continue the installation but once its finished and reboots, it leaves me in 640x480 and about 4 colours :o . This happened every time ive tried to install them, same error and all. Can anyone shed any light on my problem?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

The more recent versions of the ATI Catalyst drivers require that you first have Microsoft Dot Net Framework v1.1 installed. If you don't it might explain your problems with ATI drivers.
    Download .net Framework 1.1 here. Its about 23.5MB.
    I also recommend you get the Service Pack 1 for it here. Its around 10.5MB.
    I am not certain if the SP is needed for the Catalysts but whatever fixes are in the SP certainly will do no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Have framework 1.1 but not the SP, will give that a try later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You should get Driver Cleaner and remove every trace of your graphics drivers and start over. Has solved a few conflicts for me before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Got Driver Cleaner and removed all traces of ATi and nVidia(my last card) and went to install the Catalyst 5.4's minus the control panel, it worked without error but it still left me in about 4 colours and a really low resolution, which I couldnt change.

It's weird, I can't install the official drivers at all, tried redownloading in case of corrupt download and still nada. Is a reformat on the books?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Update the driver manually. I do it for my OEM Nvidia GeforceFX no probs.
    Just update driver from Device Manager and choose "Don't search. I will choose a driver to install" and then "Have Disk" and browze to C:\ati\support\{driver_Version}
    Choose your card from the list given. Reboot. If it fails or goes tits up enter safe mode and undo or a system restore. I do this for my Radeon and Geforce cards on XP no probs.

The dotnet framework is only needed for that fancy ATI control panel. You should still get your resolution & colour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement