Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need more RAM?

Options
  • 03-05-2005 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

My computer has been operating slower than I would like, and I think it might be time to get some more RAM. But before I did, I thought I would double check with those more knowledgeable on boards.

Anyway, here’s an over view of my computer:

IBM T41 (about 10 mths old)
    Intel Centrino Processor (1500 MHz)
    Current RAM: 256 MB

Main uses:
    MS Office (Occasionally, some pretty intensive excel)
    FireFox
    AVG
    iTunes
    Picassa

I usually work with a lot of programs running – maybe 5 of the above at any one time

Main problems:
    Programs are slow to open
    Programs are generally slow to run
    If I’ve many programs open, and flicking between them. Sometimes the windows on the screen ‘black –out’

My Questions:

1) Will additional RAM cure the problems above?

2) If so, how much additional RAM should I get?

3) Is there any specific type of RAM I should get?

4) Where is a good place to buy it from? (www.shop4memory.com ?)

Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Are you running Windows XP? I presume so...

As a rule of thumb, I wouldn't use anything less than 512MB of RAM running XP. Thats just my own opinion, I'm sure others may disagree, but RAM is cheap these days, so go for it. Lob in another 256MB. It wont hurt...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Fibonacci wrote:
    My Questions:

1) Will additional RAM cure the problems above?

2) If so, how much additional RAM should I get?

3) Is there any specific type of RAM I should get?

4) Where is a good place to buy it from? (www.shop4memory.com ?)

Thanks in advance for the help!

1) Probably. Do a ctrl+alt+del, pop open the task manager and check inside the performance tab. That should give you an idea on how much extra ram you need.

2) See above :)

3) Yes. It differs per-computer. Check in your computer's bios for your ram type.

4) AFAIK that's a fine site for getting ram. The usual suspects also apply once you know exactly which type to get (komplett, marx, jes, peats, hitide, etc.).

Edit: adding ram is widely considered the cheapest way to extend the life of your computer. I nearly always have more ram than I need, because you're slower to notice the machine slowing down when it's getting a bit long in the tooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

for that kind of multitasking it would be alot more comfortable to have at least another 256mb stick, or even another 512mb! Shop 4 memory is a good place to get it alright!

Advertisement