Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

keep user settings when logging in

Options
  • 03-05-2005 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi hope someone could help me.

Since this is an american company i wiork for, their policy is to reboot every machine every night. This is done automatically.
    So when you came next day, you have to log in. (you can not just lock you computer, and the unlock it next day). You have to log in normally as a user.

The ackward of this is that when you log in all you personal/users settings go back to default.

Like back grounds, favorites in IE, desktop icons you have made short cuts to, etc....

Wondering if there is a way to take a batch backup of an existing user profile, and just load this, every time you log on, or other workaround so you dont have to set all you settings every day...

Any one who have an idea for a workaround ??

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They have probably renamed ntuser.dat to ntuser.man to create a MANDATORY user profile. Or change settings in the Group Policy.

Best bet is to ask the IT people, then read the IT section on your terms & conditions of employment - chances are that is the way it is intended to be and that you aren't allowed or encouraged to change it. Usually it's done to stop wasting time customizing thier PC and wasting IT's time supporting such tweaks.

Check with the IT/HR people first to see what you are allowed to do first.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The problem you're having isn't a direct result of having to login again, they're also doing something in addition to this which is resetting your profile. They do this explicitly to prevent you from changing things like you talking about (backgrounds, shortcuts etc). There's many ways of doing this and it's probably not going to be easy to get around, in fact doing so could easily violate terms of your employment, or at the very least get you in a bit of trouble with your IT dept, because it'll interfere with some of their other more important security procedures.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ferale

Thanks for the answer you posted... I will have a chat with IT and see what they say.
    I understand a security risk, and timewasting of IT time, but I still believe is not such a big risk to let the user allow to chnage thei background on their own system, or add a IR favourite as this normally don't tweak you workstation.

But again, this is an american company, and they are very addicted to policy.
    The company i worked for before in Norway, had much more sensitive information, but there was no such restriction there, like it is here in Lexmark.

Will post back as soon as i spoke top IT manager to see what he can do...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I think the main reason they do it is to keep everything standard across every machine. That way if your out for a while, or if they upgrade you and give your machine to someone else, anyone else will be instantly familiar with it. I used to work in IT myself and would get really p***ed off having to go use peoples pcs with all their crappy backgrounds, sounds, mouse pointers and password protected screen-savers :) .

As a small workaround you could always create a folder on the network, I'm presuming you have your own personal network space, and put all your shortcuts and internet favourites in there. That way they'll be there everytime you log in (even if you use a different pc), the company will probably even be backing them up for you if :)
    ferale wrote:
    on their own system
    I think you'll find your IT department will consider it their system ;)

Advertisement