Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest to use Car Mp3 setup

Options
  • 03-05-2005 9:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

Didnt know where to put this so sorry if wrong forum.

What is the easiest to use setup for a car mp3 player? What i want is something like an ipod mini and an adapter that can plug into my cd changer port like this one:
    http://www.carplayer.com/
    I drive a peugot and its not listed here plus that site looks like a scam so has anyone got an alternative?
    Id like to be able to use the radio controls to skip through tracks so the ipod doesnt necessarily have to be touched for safety reasons etc
    Anyone any ideas. kepp it as simple as possible mind...

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

ipod + iTrip (the itrip is a little radio broadcaster) - you can then tune in your car radio to the freq of the iTrip and listen to you mp3 player through the radio.

Btw, Im not sure of the legality of the iTrip, being a fm broadcaster and all.

Otherwise there are a few in car kits - one example would be; if you have a tape player on the car stereo then you can buy a device that plugs into your mp3 player and slots into your tape slot

Have a look at ipod lounge too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

I dont want an itrip though beacuse it'll not allow me to use my car controls. I have a remote control on my steering wheel that i want to use with the mp3 player to skip through songs etc.
    thanks though.
    ANYMORE SUGGESTIONS

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I think I saw somewhere else around boards that the iTrip is illegal here, unlicensed broadcasting and all.

The very simplest option is to just get an MP3 CD head unit, then you can burn your MP3s to a blank cd and play them in it. You can usually get 10 to 15 albums on a cd depending on bitrate and album length and the quality will be much better than with an FM transmitter. InCarExpress have some good deals.

edit: just saw your post mentioning a steering wheel remote, guess that means you want to keep your existing head unit, you could also try something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

ideally a line in/aux in on a car unit would be best.

thanks steven but i already have one of those. it was good cas itd play wma 's too but i want to keep the radio thats in the peugot as ,im sorry to repeat myself again, but i want to keep and use the remote thats on the steering wheel.
    So the advice im looking for is the simplest way to connect an ipod to a car radio so i can still use the car's controls to control the ipod. see the link above - it can be done im sure.
    i know all about itrips and even make one for you if youd like so please no advice on them thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Where does it say you can control the ipod with your car stereo remote? Are you sure that's possible? I've never heard of it before. Would be quite cool alright.. I'll get you a good guide in a minute. Stay tuned (although I think you may know how to do what's in the guide)

EDIT: Here you go:)

halfway down the page in the features section it says:
    Once the cable is plugged in your car will charge and power your iPod, as well as control it (Next/Previous track, FF/RW) using your car stereos existing buttons (steering wheel controls if you have them).
    it has to be possible.
    What guide have you got cormie? whats it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭cormie

here, it's pretty much on connecting an iRiver to anything, probably just the same as an iPod.

Oh yeah, I see what it says about the controls. That's pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Hey,

I've been looking in this area myself, tho not specifically for an ipod solution. As I'm sure you have already seen, the main solution you will see involves changing the head unit - Kenwood have a specific unit designed to do what ur after with an iPod.

The thing you mentioned sounds interesting and that kind of solution is the only way you are going to get to use your existing head unit controls with the ipod. Its mainly a US site looks like, which is why Peugeot didn't get a mention. If I was in your position, I would check using that solution with a CD changer adapter like this http://thebassbin.co.uk/shop/product/products_id/1770.html - between the two of them, you should be able to get it all hooked up.

Failing that, do what I am going to do - change the head unit and get this mad sexy yoke - a head unit with a usb port on the fascia. All you need is a bog standard usb memory stick and you're away :) Its not acutally out yet, but I'm in the queue when it is...

http://www.carbudgetaudio.com/bossmp34000r.html

Hope that helps,
    C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

u can plug ipods directly into most ALPINE headunits, so thats the simplest thing to do imo, they are expensive enough for headunits, but get great reviews, and look real good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭beaker

cnet recently did a Weekend Project on this.

Worth a look...

Advertisement