Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Rock

• 02-05-2005 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

Was listening to the new Silver Mt Zion album today and it spurred me on to have a post rock evening. Anyone else like post rock style music? More importantly, does anyone know any good Irish bands apart from the Jimmy Cake?

For the uninitiated post rock is basically bands like Mogwai, Slint, Tortoise, Sigur Rós and Godspeed You! Black Emperor. So it's long instrumental songs all the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

Saw slint when they came to vicar street not so long ago, great band. Mogwai can be fantastic at times too. Explosions In The Sky are another great 'post-rock' type band, missed them the last time they came here though, check out "the earth is not a cold dead place" if you get the chance, great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Saw Slint at ATP this year and thought they were a let down.

When I'm in the mood for that stuff I like listening to June of '44.

I don't know if the cake are 'post-rock', whatever that's supposed to mean. There's loads of good bands in Ireland worth checking out. The Redneck Manifesto is an obvious one, United Bible Studies, Boxes are incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

try aerial M, dianogah, don cabbellero, im not a gun, ex in the sky, rumah sakit
    most of these are more aggressive instrumental rock..
    or animal collective is quite soft too..
    aerial M is dave pajos(slint) solo project..really nice&relaxed stuff..
    irish bands..try the connect4orchestra..or even waiting room(supported slint)..both excellent bands..
    or pop along to the buttery in trinity this week where(shameless plug)an instrumental band i play in is competing in the battle of the bands. We'll have some c.d's too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Barryoh2004

best genre ever. try do make say think and labradford as well. here's a link to an excellent site with loads of interviews and live footage with bands of that ilk (tortoise, EITS, do make say think etc.) Brainwashed
    and is anyone into that whole thing interested in joining a band? here's a link to my ad Click

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

John2 wrote:
    More importantly, does anyone know any good Irish bands apart from the Jimmy Cake?

you'd probably like rest

www.restgopop.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 lupus

and ch-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I loves my post rock! I think Godspeed would be my favourites at the moment, but I'm quite a Sigur Rós fan too. I've got most of Tortoise's stuff too, and I've been getting into Boards of Canada recently.
    Hooray!
    Need more though...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Nice to see so many people with taste here. I'm quite familiar with the Brainwashed site Barry, crackin' site so it is. Anyone with any sort of strange taste in music should check out their podcasts, very interesting stuff. I'm going to have some time going through all these suggestions, I though I was reasonably versed in the scene but evidently not.
    moonboy wrote:
    or pop along to the buttery in trinity this week where(shameless plug)an instrumental band i play in is competing in the battle of the bands. We'll have some c.d's too..

Thursday night? I should be there. I was one of the judges last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭technobob

yeah rest's album released last year was fantastic
    great to see irish bands making high quality post rock

oh and i forgot about low
    another great new album by them
    it'll change your life

• Advertisement

technobob wrote:
    oh and i forgot about low
    another great new album by them
    it'll change your life

Agreed. Much like their b-sides box set.

and you could nearly say yo la tenga as well

bought their new album last friday
    the 3 x cd of rarities
    while not exactly post rock, i do tend to lump them in that genre as well and if im on a post rock vibe they'll be somewhere in the playlist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

Man, the Jimmy Cake. I am still tormented by their performance in Whelan's in December. I thought they were God awful.

I guess that makes me a non-Post Rock fan? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭IanluvsKathleen

DadaKopf wrote:
    Saw Slint at ATP this year and thought they were a let down.

When I'm in the mood for that stuff I like listening to June of '44.

I don't know if the cake are 'post-rock', whatever that's supposed to mean. There's loads of good bands in Ireland worth checking out. The Redneck Manifesto is an obvious one, United Bible Studies, Boxes are incredible.

where can i get my mits on june of 44 album. been trying for ages.

Rest are good but i think the album could have been recorded better
    Tracer AMC are amazing as are GIAA
    Labradford rule
    Pan American are good but the album can be a little tough to listen to at times.
    have a few tortoise albums but with the exception of one or two tracks i'm not into them at all.

Pan American are good but the album can be a little tough to listen to at times.

Which album? I have Quiet City and I find it quite easy to listen to

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

Try this american band called Chokebore. Very very very good.
    And Blond Redhead. Anybody heard of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭IanluvsKathleen

John2 wrote:
    Which album? I have Quiet City and I find it quite easy to listen to

yeah Quiet City. just found the first 3 or so song quite tough. very droney and i like that sort of stuff normally (like "stars of the lid"). rest of the album is good particularly the last few tracks. havent listened to it in a while tho. must give it a listen again.

Yeah they're pretty good but I don't own much by them, just a couple of tracks on compilations.

i have melody of a damaged lemon and i love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

would recommend
    Aerial M - Aerial M
    Tortoise - Tortoise / Millions Now Living Will Never Die
    Slint - Spiderland
    Godspeed You Black Emperor - f#a#oo
    Flying Saucer Attack - Chorus

• Advertisement

There are legal authorised (and high quality) live shows for download from the Internet Live Music Archive. Lots of Silver Mt. Zion and Godspeed among many many unknowns. Not all of it is post rock though but there are some great recordings in here. Most of them are not mp3 though, they are flac and shn files which are much higher quality but larger files. You'll need to get plug ins for winamp to here them but luckily the plug ins are available from this site.

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Some of the bands mentioned on this thread I wouldn't hear described as post-rock, Boards of Canada being one. Surely Blonde Readhead (I love 'em) is post-madrigal. Don Cab is 'math rock', innit? Apparently Jo44 is, too. Low? Post-rock? Hmm. I mean, I dunno, it's a meaningless term. Either it's Louisville-bands-who-knew-each-other-music (but how is King Kong post-rock), or it's bands who want to sound like Slint, or its ALL ROCK THAT CAME AFTER METAL, but then it isn't. To me it's a term some music journo invented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

For the uninitiated post rock is basically bands like Mogwai, Slint, Tortoise, Sigur Rós and Godspeed You! Black Emperor. So it's long instrumental songs all the way.
    I can guarantee you 111% that you'll like "Tracer AMC". Grab a few of their tracks from their website. I'd compare them to most to mogwai, except better (if thats possible :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I really hate the term 'post-rock'. Something about just reeks of pretention...

(But I like a few of the bands that seem to fall into the category...)

Yeah it's a horrible term but it's better than the other terms I've heard to describe some of the bands (chamber pop being a prime example). At least pretty much everyone knows what you mean by post rock when you say it though, which is why I called the thread post rock

i had always dubbed it instrumental rock myself, seemed to fit the bill for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

post cock rock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

Hmm. Try God is an Astronaut if it's Irish your after. Perhaps some of the Redneck Manifesto too...

Personal Faves :

Set fire to Flames
    Silver Mount Zion
    M83
    Mogwai
    Fly Pan AM

Has anyone hear heard the new reissue of The Body Lovers/Body Haters albums? They are pretty savage. The cd's are by Michael Gira (formally of the Swans, currently of the Angels of Light) and were originally released in 1998 (I think). Well worth a listen if you're into Godspeed.

Official site (careful in work, there's a couple of dodgy drawings on the Body Lovers page)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Some may call them "Math Rock" but since thats the most faggoty genre title ever, I'm gonna throw 65daysofstatic into this Post Rock thread. Awesomely good band. Storyboard aint bad either.

Oh and GY!BE's 'Lift Yr Skinny Fists...' is possibly the most beautiful album evaaaar.

Advertisement