Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cure for a losing streak

Options
  • 02-05-2005 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Normally dominate the $5 and $10 STTs in pokerroom but played 5 games today and best finish was 6th! This is ridiculous, over the course of the games only got one group 1 hand (AKs) the rest was garbage. Well, i did pull a straight flush in the first game 9c8c7c6c5c but went completely down hill from there :( Think i'll go back to the play money tables for a while until I start to see some cards again. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭BrendanB

Cards will always come, it's just patience. There's generally no real need to bust out early of an STT, usually at 5 and 10 tables you'll lose a chunk of players by the end of the first couple of levels - blinds don't force you to play so just keep throwing away the muck. Apart from anything else the tight image is more use later on.

Now if only I'd follow my own bloody advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

Dont go on to the play money as that will not improve your game. Don't play any poker for 2/3 days and then come back fresh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭DeLaBass

Have been playing tight and mixing it up too. Ya maybe a break is needed... don't want to lose anymore money anyway. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Don't worry about it. A lot of people don't realise how swingy SnGs really can be. I have gone on longer losing streaks than that on $30 SnGs, most of the time going out either as a favourite or on a coinflip. Extended sessions of butt-raping will happen. That's just part of poker, but if you are already a winning player then you will always turn it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Drop down to the $1 and $3 STT's (if they have them on Pokerroom), at least then if you get a bad run of cards or nasty ourdraws it won't hurt the pocket as much.

I was playing the 10k guaranteed on Party poker last night, huge overlay as there were only 250 runner at $30 each ($7500), of course I am out on the first hand when I push on a 752r board with 88 and get called by AA.

I wish I wasn't dead money :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

5 games without cashing doesn't really count as a losing streak, even people who are kicking the ass of a given level with have that and far worse.

When I was grinding my way throught STTs I always had a bankroll of about 22 buyins for the level I was playing. So I wasn't really playing $10 STTs until I had $200 to lose at poker (actually I played them with less but the $5 ones wrecked my head), I didn't however start to play $25 ($27.50 really) ones until I had $600 to lose comfortably.

Also bear in mind that many people would say that my bankroll was too small even presuming I was a winning player. There's a good bit more variance there than I would have expected, the main reason they're safe enough is that you can drop down a level if you get a poor streak and build it back up again.

lafortezza wrote:
    I wish I wasn't dead money :(
    Loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

DapperGent wrote:
    Loser.
    Keep raising with 9's double suited....

... and worse!!

Cheers for the hope guys. Im sure things will turn around, after all i don't think i've been making mistakes, just a few bad~ish beats and the like, but ya, thats poker..

• Advertisement

Think the bad streak could be over guys, finished 2nd in a college tourney tonight! Had some lovely plays like when i moved to a new table and was dealt JJ in my first hand. Raised it to 7k with blinds 1k-2k, chip leader called. Flop comes rainbow rags, all-in for 15k more, get called again and bust his backdoor nut flush draw to become new chip leader. Go up against him again a little while laster and knock him out with bottom two pair. Another beautiful hand was when a i was dealt 7c8c and flop comes 6-x-9 rainbow. Turn brings the nuts with a 5 and a massive pot after i had lost my lead. Thats the kind of luck i wanted!
    Went out in the final table after about 15 mins of very enjoyable heads-up going all in with my 6:1 shorttack with Ad2d beaten by QJo, Q on the board. Very enjoyable game, and nice to see some cards again. :D

Advertisement