Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Newspaper/Magazine for Advice

Options
  • 02-05-2005 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

Which newspaper or magazine provides the best investment/money/markets advice? which do you pay attention to?

Has to be the Sunday Tribune or The Phoenix for me..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Financial Times both on and offline. Wall Street Journal Online is also very useful. The Sunday Business Post isn't bad, neither is the Sunday Times.

But FT and WSJ are definitely my favourites. They are not ireland focussed, but then alot of my work in investing isn't related to irish shares and companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

The Business Post wrecks my head - ever since Damian Kiberd left it doesn't seem to have any serious writing. There was a time there for about two years when they had the table of FTSE100 shares arranged by name alphabetically, but the market capitalisation of those companies was arranged by size (in the same table), meaning that the whole table was nonsense. I sent them a number of emails about it as it annoyed me that they were being so sloppy. In the end i just stopped buying the paper.

Times is good on the sunday. prob with the ft IMHO is that there is just too much reading in it! wish the wsj would stop doing that stupid thing with its front page articles (whereby it doesn't show the full article)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The Business Post wrecks my head - ever since Damian Kiberd left it doesn't seem to have any serious writing. There was a time there for about two years when they had the table of FTSE100 shares arranged by name alphabetically, but the market capitalisation of those companies was arranged by size (in the same table), meaning that the whole table was nonsense. I sent them a number of emails about it as it annoyed me that they were being so sloppy. In the end i just stopped buying the paper.

Times is good on the sunday. prob with the ft IMHO is that there is just too much reading in it! wish the wsj would stop doing that stupid thing with its front page articles (whereby it doesn't show the full article)

The business post is nice light reading and occasionally amusing, not really a serious business paper.

FT is quite dense. However I've found that you will tend to focus on a general part of it (I've worked as a currency trader, so I used to go through it's currency and commodity articles with a fine tooth comb).

WSJ online is again good, but again it's specific parts of it that really interest me.

Ever tried Barrons Online? It looks very interesting, I must say I'm tempted by it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Barron's is very good. As you may be aware, it was one of their articles in March 2000, which is widely credited with causing the dotcom-crash (although that seems like a rather large claim). Am doing a PhD in investment myself (investor psychology), so would try and read all these various mags - love reading The Economist for its straight-forward good articles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

I would have to vote for the economist, the FT is a great newspaper and Barrons is a good read

I read the Sunday Business Post more for the irish business news, rather than than for financial advice. Same goes for Business Plus, and the business sections in the Irish Times and Indo

I have to say though, the writing skills of many of the Irish business journalists is dreadful, most of what they write (especially the international stuff) is generally out of date and extremly basic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement