Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

n00b Question: What are these?

• 02-05-2005 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

I have this cable:
    PICT0934.JPG

... and this cable:
    PICT0936.JPG

And (as a n00b i am) I don't know what they are...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

The first one is a USB cable. If the end on the righthand side of the picture is larger and square shaped, then its suitable for a printer and other such large objects. If its smaller and rectangle shaped, its for digital cameras and mp3 players and other such small items.

Second one is an ethernet cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

For networkin' and junk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Dale

The first one is a USB cable. If the end on the righthand side of the picture is larger and square shaped, then its suitable for a printer and other such large objects. If its smaller and rectangle shaped, its for digital cameras and mp3 players and other such small items.

1) Yes, it has a large-ish square-ish head... are these just called USB cables or do they have a proper name to them like "USB to * cables" ?

2) Cheers ^_^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

The network cable is aka an RJ45 cable.

The USB is referred as 'A to B, Male to Male' specificaly.

~snapscan

One more question... any idea how much they sell for? Like brand new still in their plastic packaging?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

The network cable is aka an RJ45 cable.

~snapscan

The cable is actually called a UTP Category 5 Cable

The RJ45's are the connections on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

anywhere between €5 and €10 for an ethernet cable

about €10 for the usb one (wild guess)

maplin.co.uk would prolly give you a wild idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Sub €10

Dale wrote:
    1) Yes, it has a large-ish square-ish head... are these just called USB cables or do they have a proper name to them like "USB to * cables" ?

2) Cheers ^_^
    Id keep them as back ups myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

out of curiosity, why ask how much they'd cost?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Dale wrote:
    One more question... any idea how much they sell for? Like brand new still in their plastic packaging?

Depending on how long they are usually €5 each

tman wrote:
    out of curiosity, why ask how much they'd cost?
    Just incase i need more.

Dale wrote:
    Just incase i need more.

Just in case you do there are two different types of Networking cable

1. is Networking cable / Crossover - which facilites the "Handshake" between PC's

2. is Data cable / Straight Through / Network Extension - via an RJ45 A to A block (which has to be used inline with a crossover cable if you want to network 2 PC's)

slade_x wrote:
    Just in case you do there are two different types of Networking cable

1. is Networking cable / Crossover - which facilites the "Handshake" between PC's

2. is Data cable / Straight Through / Network Extension - via an RJ45 A to A block (which has to be used inline with a crossover cable if you want to network 2 PC's)
    *Dale is lost*

Dale wrote:
    *Dale is lost*

Crossover cable is configured so that you can connect either end into a PC and it works to network them

A standard "Straight Through" cable wont, they are typically used for extending the Network cable range while complying to the standard for a crossover cable (however i have made crossover cables up to 30 metres that work fine) and also used as Data cables for devices (controllers) but i would doubt you would use them for that purpose

slade_x wrote:
    Crossover cable is configured so that you can connect either end into a PC and it works to network them
    Just connect them for moving files over or can like a internet connection be shared between them?

Dale wrote:
    Just connect them for moving files over or can like a internet connection be shared between them?
    it works exactly like a standard cable except it removes the need for a hub by directly connecting two PC. hence any resource can be shared such as the internet. I do this and use FreeProxy for the deed.

Dale wrote:

When you network two computers you can do both, along with some others like sharing printers, etc.

slade_x wrote:
    When you network two computers you can do both, along with some others like sharing printers, etc.
    Cool, because i'd love to have my computer upstairs connected to the internet. ¬_¬ Its so annoying bringing my tower downstairs and connecting it all up just to go on the internet.

Im still gonna push Freeproxy

• Advertisement
Advertisement