Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The recurring topic of old health & safety ads/RTE rant

Options
  • 02-05-2005 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭

remember those old national safety council ads? the one with the couch going up in flames? it used to scare me as a child, but it was like a mini drama.

or the one to 'keep your dog under control' , it was animated and had a family dog going out with wild dogs killing sheep??? any one remember those and wher could you get to see them again???

this thread comes up every few months

In the UK there are several sites dedicated to PIFs (Public Information Films) and general television advertisments from the 1970's/80's. They are even VHS/DVD releases eg Charley Says.

In Ireland we have nothing. Just peoples memories.

I am not sure if the ability is there for someone to create such a site given the lack of source materials. The ads in question do not belong to RTE. I have checked this with them before. Many of them were made by the Health Education Bureau.

Having said that our national broadcaster is an absolute disgrace when it comes to preservation and sharing of archive material. Their refusal to release DVDs of shows like Wanderly Wagon, Bosco etc is tantamount to this. Yet they complain about being underfunded and mutter periodically about the licence fee needing to be increased.

In the UK they have various 'Gold' channels and plenty opportunities to watch old programmes from the past. RTE, if they had any gumption, could offer this service on an additional channel.

any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭eddiehitler

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    this thread comes up every few months

In the UK there are several sites dedicated to PIFs (Public Information Films) and general television advertisments from the 1970's/80's. They are even VHS/DVD releases eg Charley Says.

In Ireland we have nothing. Just peoples memories.

I am not sure if the ability is there for someone to create such a site given the lack of source materials. The ads in question do not belong to RTE. I have checked this with them before. Many of them were made by the Health Education Bureau.

Having said that our national broadcaster is an absolute disgrace when it comes to preservation and sharing of archive material. Their refusal to release DVDs of shows like Wanderly Wagon, Bosco etc is tantamount to this. Yet they complain about being underfunded and mutter periodically about the licence fee needing to be increased.

In the UK they have various 'Gold' channels and plenty opportunities to watch old programmes from the past. RTE, if they had any gumption, could offer this service on an additional channel.

any opinions?
    yea thats a good point. surley RTE can afford to provide such a service. i mean they demand an ever increasing lincense fee every year but still deliver a mediocre service. they also receive funding from the government and clean up on fees paid by advertising companies. a 'gold' Channel would be welcome by many people. would it do any good to get a petition going? probably not, but ya never know..

Advertisement