Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That was a toughie.... Sunday 50 euro

Options
  • 02-05-2005 5:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭

So that's that. 4th place for 700. finally got my silver giblet. All in with ace five against ace four, four on river, adios me. Next hand player low stack gone. Last two do deal for 3 grand each. I played as best I could but it still stings.

Hard luck to devore, out close to the money.

Andy Black out on bubble. Pissed away his monster stack acting the maggot. Nearly killed me at the end. Lady goes all in for one big blind amount. Player calls, I call, Andy who is sitting to my left goes all in with huge stack. Other player folds, I fold, Andy turns over eight five unsuited. Quadruples up lady who goes on to get 6th. Could have killed him. Turns out myself and the other guy would have shared the pot with ace nine each. He blames the Rocky theme music he was listening to from my mp3. I blame the 19 grand he nabbed 7 hours earlier.

Hard luck and well done to Niall OCallaghan who won his second silver ingot/giblet and unfortunately didnt hit a card on the final table to get knocked out in 5th. He doubled up just before the final table by busting out his brother which was quite funny.

So thats me done for the festival. Basically I broke even, which isnt bad i guess. All pokered out, at least for 8 hours. Thanks to Big Dragon for the advice and support. Apologies to any dealers or players I may have snapped at, Except Mr. A Black who nearly witnessed the wrath of Khan.

If anyone has any good advice on back pain please feel free to PM me. I'll be spending the next two days in traction most likely.

What I learned or relearned this weekend is that there is money to be made in the cash games if you can avoid getting sucked into the gambling spirit, which is very very hard when ur looking down on sweet omaha hands. I also learned that I can't lose over a hundred in a cash sitting or tourney and be ok with it. Yesterdays 400 game stung like a motherflubber. I need to build a roll and until I do its back to the freerolls for me. Oh dear god, now I have to listen to Trinity know it alls yaw yaw between themselves as to why they're better than anyone else. Why God! WHY!!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

Well done and your welcome. What I have learned from this weekend is that all the seriously good young players from Boards, you know who you are, are but a hairs breath from being part of the poker elite in Ireland and not a million miles away from being serious players on the world stage.

There are guys who post here and play in the Fitz who can hold their own against Andy Black, Mick McCloskey. Paul Lecky and the like without too much bother.

Poker demons. One and all.

Bring on Vegas! Or the Dublin WPT event! etc, etc.

Again, Doc, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

If anyone has any good advice on back pain please feel free to PM me. I'll be spending the next two days in traction most likely.

Nice result at the tourney and unlucky on not getting further. I took up yoga a couple of months ago to help my back and now it hardly bothers me at all.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

God I felt gutted. I got a run of half decent but scary cards in the middle of the game (three pairs of Jacks...) but I never saw a hand once I moved upstairs. Sitting to the right of Andy black for 3rd last table sucked completely. He could have called my (reasonable) all in for a single tower of 500's. Stiffled any play I could have made.
    I think I was 14th or 15th. I dunno, I just know it sucked.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

NickyOD wrote:
    Nice result at the tourney and unlucky on not getting further. I took up yoga a couple of months ago to help my back and now it hardly bothers me at all.

Glad to hear it Nicky. When I practiced Aikido (badly) I was never in better shape but working at a computer all day and playing poker all night means that I wake up literally unable to move for five minutes and unable to take a full breath without stinging pain for about half an hour.

I'm not looking for sympathy (well maybe just a little) because I know its all self-inflicted. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had similiar back problems? I do exercise for half an hour, press ups, yoga moves, but the pain isn't shifting.

I'll just have to exercise more, maybe take a break from the poker. I should go back to the Whitefriar Aikido club (fantastic gentle people) but I'm just so damned lazy.
    oh well, time to get my ass moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Well done, Doc. Sorry I left after Andy went out, but I was knackered after dealing since 4.30pm...but damn, he's entertaining at the table..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

Nice one doc, I wasn't quite as amused when Niall busted me out, but at least someone enjoyed it. That's the end of the niceties between us when it comes to poker; calling my ace king all in with ace nine! I've been fuming about it since last night, and he didn't even have the decency to go on and win it! Hopefully we'll get the same table tonight and I can get some revenge, I'm on a mission now. By the way do you know who it was who ended up splitting it in the end? I presume it had something to do with the guy in the red shirt, he looked to be a pretty serious player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

ok ok.. but it was only another 19k, pot was 75k and i had 30k change.. the mistake was raising too high with the A9 in the first place.. I hate the phrase as it is over used, but in that situation i think i was pot committed! Any other player and I call so I have to apply the same logic

The guy in the red shirt was a good player but he was gone in 8th i think. It was a tough final table and he didn't seem to hit any cards. I lost a big pot when I raised early pos with KQclbs.. BB re-raised all in and I lost 35k on that one. I was down to 60k, and with the blinds at 5 10 it was down to the cards. (Sorry Des for going all in on your BB so much but it was the only time i picked up an A or K!) And you did get me back when you found KK on the SB!

Good tournament and a very tough final table. Toughest I have played in a while. Congrats to the two who split it - They both played a very good game

Alright lads, cheers Rich,

The two who split it were not regulars, one was a young lad from Galway, the other was a middle aged guy who has played a good bit but not in the Fitz for a long time. He kept going all in and I couldnt fold anymore, only had about 5 big blinds left. If I had have won that pot I would have made it to at least the deal stage. Feel quite sick about it. 700 is nice but 3 grand would have jump started my bigger game moves big time.
    This will sound arrogant but I played to win last night and really feel that I let myself down big time. There were 2 other moves I should have made on the final table and didn't. I chickened out and it may have cost me the tourney.
    I've played 4 nights in a row and am a bit burnt out and emotional (sob).
    I'm gonna take a few days off but I have to improve my game or I don't see a future in this for me.
    student freeroll on thursday it is then.....

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭kpnuts

vwp Des (bookshop Des, i presume?) to get that far ... if you are who I think you are, you're ending up at the business end of tournaments fairly regularly ... keep the faith, keep doing the right things and your win will come ... final table play is an art in itself ... I don't know if you play many sit + gos online, and while I am not a great believer in trying to marry online and live styles, I believe that playing plenty of sit + gos online (or live) really sharpens your antennae for the nights you get to the final table ... just a thought ... anyway, until next time we cross stacks across the baize, GL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

ocallagh wrote:

Good tournament and a very tough final table. Toughest I have played in a while.

Tougher than the 270 final table? Well done Niall on another final table... it was a good festival for you and your brother!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Well done Des. And judging from some of the threads here, it seems that bad beats were the cause of a lot of Boards players not making the money during the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Not for me!

Tougher than the 270 final table? Well done Niall on another final table... it was a good festival for you and your brother!

Cheers Derek - and for you too! It was a very similar final table to the 270. The stacks were all even enough at one stage and again it was all pre-flop strategy. I'm having withdrawal symptoms tonight - First night away from the Fitz for the best part of a week... Resorting to the $27rebuy (7,500 gtd..) on Paddy Power to ease the pain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭BrendanB

I'm resentful towards you all and your plans. My brother gets married on day 1 of the big one, so even if I had a ticket...feck that I'd probably play.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭kpnuts

pokertroll's gonna be missing his brother's wedding to play wsop, if i'm not mistaken ... but then, he has around 26 siblings ... allegedly :)

come over a bit earlier Brendan! Talk of heading over 25th or something like that! I think we need to setup a Vegas trip thread!

What kind of bankroll/costs are u talking about? Actually forget i asked, i ain't got it. What are u gonna spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Nice to be dealing it...

2% est $7,000,000 = a share of $140,000

What kind of bankroll/costs are u talking about? Actually forget i asked, i ain't got it. What are u gonna spend?

That's a good question.. I haven't thought about that yet. I figure I'll play in one large tourny and a few smaller ones. I'll bring over $2k (€1500) i'd say for tournys and then lump the rest on my credit card i suppose and worry bout it when i get home. hmmm.. it could be quite an expensive trip..

Will u keep me informed. If i get a couple of grand together I'll pop along. Actually scrap that. Actually, no, wait, no, forget it.

ok, i'll go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Why not club together as a 'syndicate' and the Boards Vegas travelling party might attract a few 'investors' to help you with bankroll?

Advertisement