Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing and plastering

Options
  • 01-05-2005 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

I am chasing some walls at the moment to help a busy electrican to do a small amount of work in our kitchen (couple of new sockets new light switches etc).

What would be the best way to fill up the chases when he is finished?
    I have most of the tools for plastering and was thinking of buying a bag of plaster to do it?

Would anyone recommend a simpler way to do it ?

What about polyfilla type filler + then sand it smooth?

The whole area is to be repainted also.

There are only 2 areas about 3 or 4 metres of chasing in total that will be left visible on the wall.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Well, remember to poly bond the area before the electrican puts in the conduit because when you are patching you will get loads of dust and little stones which you dont need,best thing to use would be Bonding to fill up holes over the conduit.

Dont fill it flush just leave couple of mils so that you can put polyfiller over it so that you can sand down.Or over bonding use skimcoat plaster as a finish,that is if your handy at the patching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Goll Mac Morna

best thing to use would be Bonding to fill up holes over the conduit.

Mad M what do you mean by 'Bonding'.
    What is the 'bonding' that can be used to fill the chases

Just a short note,get one of those spray bottles and fill it with some poly bond and it will be easier to spray it in the chases for yourself,very handy to get into arkward places.

Bonding is a high build filler.Just mix it up like plaster.It gives the finish a better grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Elfish

mad m wrote:
    Well, remember to poly bond the area before the electrican puts in the conduit ..............

............best thing to use would be Bonding to fill up holes over the conduit.

Just to clear up: polybonding and bonding are 2 different things

Polybonding - aka PVA Bonder is a liquid diluted and painted on with a brush to seal the wall and prevents plaster bursting out later

Bonding - this is a type of filler plaster - it needs to be trowelled onto a wall that has been previously been polybonded.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Goll Mac Morna

I have just finished the chasing this evening, looks good + should do the job, thanks for all the helpful advice.

I had been considering doing some or all of the chasing for the new house I am going to build to make some savings re: the electrics, but my recent experience would not push me in that direction- hassle, dirt, dust, value of my own time...etc.,etc.

There are chasing contractors in my area who will chase an entire house for approx. €500, they use tools running on air compressors that quickly chase a wall.

I will probably be going down that route for the new house, worth the money for the amount of hassle involved in chasing a large house.

Advertisement