Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD RW recording at very slow speed

Options
  • 01-05-2005 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

Recently ive noticed my 8x burner is only burning at 2-2.2x, at first i put it down to using bad media but ive tried 3 different brands and all are having the same problem, ive used nero, dvd shrink(which uses nero afaik), dvd decrypter and i have the same problem when burning any other type of data to dvd. also, ive checked the burn speeds in nero and there set to 8x
    Im using WinXP SP2 and the burner is an "ide 1008"
    Any help is greatly appreicated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Format ur hard drive. :p

Use a different burner if possible.
    You could remove the burner from the device manager and restart pc. See if reinstalling would help. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Is your burner an 8x DVD+-R burner? Burners always burn DVD+-R's faster than RW's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Check the DMA setting for the drive controller.
    I'd say it's set to PIO and not DMA.

Other issue could be the media you use (though Nero checks the media before offering to burn at any particular speed ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Is your burner an 8x DVD+-R burner? Burners always burn DVD+-R's faster than RW's.

Yep its 8x on both

kasintahan wrote:
    Check the DMA setting for the drive controller.
    I'd say it's set to PIO and not DMA.

How do i do that? :)

i tried changing the settings to DMA and now it looks like this and i dont think its burning any faster
    Image1.jpg

• Advertisement

Theres your problem right there! The drive is in PIO mode. Theres a few ways to fix this.

1) Find your motherboard (i.e. chipset) drivers, and reinstall them. Make sure you choose to reinstall the DMA driver if thats given as an option.

2) Go to Device Manager, and remove the secondary IDE controller (or whatever controller the DVD burner is on). This is best done in safe mode. Then reboot, and it should reinstall the driver, resetting it back to DMA.

3) Change your IDE cable. PIO is defaulted to by the OS if there are errors when in DMA mode. This can be caused by a bad IDE cable

Cheers Mutant, im not sure if ill be able to do that myself but ill give it a shot, what will happen when i remoce the second ide controller, will the dvd drive still show up?
    i just had a look in the bios drive settings and it looks like this and im not sure if its correct

IDE Channel 0 Master - None
    IDE Channel 0 Slave - None
    IDE Channel 1 Master - DVD IDE 1008
    IDE Channel 1 Slave - None
    IDE Channel 2 Master - Hard drive
    IDE Channel 3 Master - None

When you remove the secondary controller, then DVD drive will disappear. However, when you reboot, the secondary controller will be reinstalled, and the drive detected again. (its definately the secondary you have to remove, thats what you screenshotted :p).

It will be visible in bios at all times.

i installed the frivers that came wit my mobo, now the dvd drive isnt showing up in the device manager, this is what is there now
    device%20manager.jpg
    Also theres a removoble storage icon on the bottom right of that pic, when u click it it gives me the option of removing the western digital 200 gig hard-drive

The drive should show up in the "DVD/CD-Rom drives" section. But you have two controllers installed at the moment, one of them seems to have a problem. (the red X). As it is, check to see if its working (burn a simulation in Nero, stops you wasting a disc).

• Advertisement

i think its burning ok now, the only prob i have now is that icon in the corner thats showing my hard-drive as a removable drive, cheers for all your help mutant :)

"the red x" is gone btw :D

You can set windows to hide that icon. Its harmless. Its just modern drivers seen to like detecting IDE drives as SCSI, thus the removeable icon appears for the drive.

Right click on the start menu button, and choose properties. In "Taskbar" make sure "hide inactive icons" is checked, and hit customize. Then just hide the "safely remove" icon.

You can set windows to hide that icon. Its harmless. Its just modern drivers seen to like detecting IDE drives as SCSI, thus the removeable icon appears for the drive.

Right click on the start menu button, and choose properties. In "Taskbar" make sure "hide inactive icons" is checked, and hit customize. Then just hide the "safely remove" icon.

i did that and for some reason its still there :confused:

Advertisement