Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charter Discussion

Options
  • 30-04-2005 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to throw up a provisional charter, but I'd really like to get input from people on what they think this forum should be about.

Also it'd be good to get a general consensus on what we want and what we don't want on this board.

This is an open discussion, so feel free to talk about anything related to this forum.

Oh and one thing I'm going to enshrine in the charter is the right of people to disagree with any analysis posted here. I feel that constructive critisism of peoples analysis is a good thing, and I don't want people to feel like they can't express their opinions on here.

However pointless critisism will just be deleted, e.g. "Your analysis sucks and you are an idiot". Posts pointing out the flaws in an analysis are more than welcome, since we want to engage in discussion here.

Any ideas on potential problems that could be encountered would also be good here :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Two suggestions. One on the charter, and one on the general format of the board.

1. Charter: the charter says there can be no links to external sites (if i picked it up correctly). I would suggest that this weakens the ranges of arguments that are then possible on the board. The essence of making a good argument is that you can validate points you make. If you can't link to external sources, then you can't validate your arguments.

Can i suggest that the charter be amended to allow people to link to articles on external websites providing that the website is already cited in the links thread? (thus, the website would be 'pre-approved' by the mods)

Thus, if you were making the case for property prices being too high it would be helpful to be able to link to specific supporting articles on say economist.com, fool.co.uk, or bbc.co.uk (and excuse me for using those websites in this general post!).

2. Format of the Board: It would be useful to have a specific place on the board to post articles (as opposed to general discusssion) on investment (similar to the Antes-Up part of the Boards Poker thread). This would be a place with solid reading for people who want to know more about investing/markets/money (with each article followed, of course, by discussion on the merits of the article). If these articles are just generally included in the main part of the thread they are likely to get lost amid the day-to-day posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Two suggestions. One on the charter, and one on the general format of the board.

1. Charter: the charter says there can be no links to external sites (if i picked it up correctly). I would suggest that this weakens the ranges of arguments that are then possible on the board. The essence of making a good argument is that you can validate points you make. If you can't link to external sources, then you can't validate your arguments.

Can i suggest that the charter be amended to allow people to link to articles on external websites providing that the website is already cited in the links thread? (thus, the website would be 'pre-approved' by the mods)

Thus, if you were making the case for property prices being too high it would be helpful to be able to link to specific supporting articles on say economist.com, fool.co.uk, or bbc.co.uk (and excuse me for using those websites in this general post!).

What I limited in the charter was links to commercial investment sites being used as advertisments. I have no intentions of stopping people from linking to external sites or to information sites such as the ones you listed. This rule is only there to give me cause to remove blatant advertising from the board. It will never be used to curtail the use of relevant links. However I don't think I was clear enough about what was not allowed, so I'll edit the charter and make it clearer that it is only advertising for commercial entities that is banned.

2. Format of the Board: It would be useful to have a specific place on the board to post articles (as opposed to general discusssion) on investment (similar to the Antes-Up part of the Boards Poker thread). This would be a place with solid reading for people who want to know more about investing/markets/money (with each article followed, of course, by discussion on the merits of the article). If these articles are just generally included in the main part of the thread they are likely to get lost amid the day-to-day posts.

If the board gets enough traffic then I will ask for a sub board to be added to allow the collection of articles. I do not however see the need for this right now.

As a compromise I suggest that I keep a locked sticky with links to every article posted in this forum and a link to each discussion of said article. This would allow people to have one place in which to see all the previous work of this site, and have access to relevant articles.

I think this could work well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

that sounds good! looking forward to having a good investment forum!

Advertisement