Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

built pc

Options
  • 29-04-2005 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭

sorry but my neighbours are buying a new pc and i was wondering what would be the best pc for them what would be the best built pc for about 1000 to 1300 .
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Depends what they want it for. Could you give a bit more detail?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

all round pc need it for games,office and thats all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

For games make sure it uses a graphics card and not on-board graphics.
    Also i recon you look for something with at least 512mb of ram.
    Them pc's from jes have german keyboards which have different keys.
    I'm finding it hard to not recomend dell (unless you want to build it yourself :D ) they are hasle free and sometimes they do have good deals.
    /me prepares for major dell bashing

Jozi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Hope you prepared well Jozi ;)

Dell PCs are cheaply built with cheap parts and show it. They have no bells and whistles at all. At the low end (€700-900) you won't build one cheaper but won't use it for gaming either. If you're going up-market even a little the building it yourself will get you a lot more for your yo-yos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

If you want onsite warranty go Dell outlet (cancelled and returned orders) Just remember to add a monitor to the order.

If you want better value for money without the onsite warranty go Jes.

BloodBath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Haven't heard good things about Jes's support - just ask Jozi. I've heard very good things about overclockers.co.uk. Komplett seem ok too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Macros42 wrote:
    Haven't heard good things about Jes's support - just ask Jozi. I've heard very good things about overclockers.co.uk. Komplett seem ok too.
    YES

Their not very fast with rma's and comunication a little bad.
    Waited over a month on a gfx card rma got a phone number of someone here for them (couldnt find it on site) then he tells me they have none do i want my money back or a different one! Why that wasnt decided much earlier i dont know.
    Also had a mobo died, rma'd back, worked for a week then went again, brother got fed up and bought one else where.
    Not to put you of them, could have been a dose of bad luck.

Komplett and overclockers i can however recomend, dealth with their customer service a few time are friendly and help full

Just my 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

what would be a good pc on dell for 1000/1200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

Well imho id direct them to tesco's in waterford, im not insane honest, they have a PC for €799 that comes with a 17 or 15" flat screen, dvd dual layer burner, nice case its IQUN or somethnig, at least an 80gig HD possibly 120Gig, Crap proccessor a 2.4 celeron or something but it would work fine as a family PC, it has speakers and loads of software, WINXP and office, a neat desk and really cool has a combo scanner, printer, copier and theres load of extra's in it, i was amazed myself, my fist PC cost me €1600 and was terrible for the money i paid, this PC is well worth the price, but the specs might be a little low for them, its got 256mb ram i tink. But there saving them selves alot of money, oh and it comes with 3 games. not top level games but there okay. Would be absolutely perfect i reckon.

I wouldnt touch dell but i wouldnt touch PC world either so after that i dont know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭aersat

;)www.advancetec.co.uk have some very high spec machines for about £700 sterling(1000euro) including delivery,well worth a look.

Aersat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

that iqon is gonna be the same or worse than any dell.
    tbh if its a first pc id adives go with dell,
    they have lifetime phone support on the machine,
    which will save you getting called in every time they cant connect to the internet.

thats the worst thing i found with getting pcs for people, doing there tech support.

at least with dell when they call you in theyll ahve done some troubleshooting so theyll know what the priblem is.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Chalk wrote:

worst thing i found with getting pcs for people, doing there tech support.

Beware never a truer word spoken.

Nukem

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Chalk wrote:
    thats the worst thing i found with getting pcs for people, doing there tech support.

yup if you build it for them you'll become their tech support guy for the pc's life time, and you probably won't get paid for it.

i never buy/build pc's for people i just point them towards dell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Macros42 wrote:

Since they went phone only, OcUK's support is non-existant. I tried ringing them 8 or 9 times in a week and never got through.

Advertisement