Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Late Late Show guests tonight...

Options
  • 29-04-2005 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know who's on the Late Late show tonight?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I believe Glinda (Glenda?) Gilson (Gibson?) is on it tonight. Is that the right name?

Anyway, whatever the name she's the model who was going out with Brian O'Driscoll for a while and now is making headlines for having a stalker ... rather than making headlines for having any discernable talent that is.

Should be facinati ...... zzzzzzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yeah I've heard she's on it. The show has gone to pot in the last few years. When you see the talent that Parky and even Jonathon Ross has week in/week out, this is píss-poor compared to them. We'll be well on our way before the show starts, and there's 22 of us going, so it should be a laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

The amount of c-list British celebrities on it of late has been astounding.
    It is reflected in the audience figures (I monitor it closely). For the past 7 weeks the show hasn't hit the 600,000 figure mark which is nothing short of astounding - this hasn't happened since this time in 2001, four years ago when the show was struggling, and 7 shows in a row were under 600,000. If the next figure is below it will be a record.

I'm surprised the rag papers haven't pounced on this, they usually do.
    The figures for the past 7 weeks are:
    503,000 - week that started with the Irish Rugby Team - the figure says it all
    521,000 - week that started with discussion of the Pope, interesting, but the figure was as predictable as anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

bruachain wrote:
    Yeah I've heard she's on it. The show has gone to pot in the last few years.
    To be honest, I've become bored of criticising the Late Late as it's basically just a cripple-kicking exercise.

I really think there is now a wider case for abolishing the TV Licence in this country. RTE already receive 80% of their income from commercial advertisers and 20% from the TV Licence.

In reality, how much worse could RTE with 20% of their annual revenue get?

Their output is dull and unimaginative. I say cut them adrift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Hash Boy

Pigman II wrote:
    I believe Glinda (Glenda?) Gilson (Gibson?) is on it tonight. Is that the right name?

Anyway, whatever the name she's the model who was going out with Brian O'Driscoll for a while and now is making headlines for having a stalker ... rather than making headlines for having any discernable talent that is.

Should be facinati ...... zzzzzzz.
    WOW! What a celeb!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

RTE already receive 80% of their income from commercial advertisers and 20% from the TV Licence.

That is not the case at all - it's roughly 50-50 now, depending on the strength of the advertising market. The figures quoted are closer to those prior to the licence increase, and even then it was about 30/70.

RTÉ could not survive in a credible fashion on advertising revenues alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Pigman II wrote:
    rather than making headlines for having any discernable talent
    Which makes her different from 90% of todays emerging "celebrities", how?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Which makes her different from 90% of todays emerging "celebrities", how?

Where did I say it made her any different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

rte radio is sooooo much better that rte tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Pigman II wrote:
    Where did I say it made her any different?
    You didn't. I was just saying, is all. I'm reminded of Bob Parr's rant about celebrating mediocracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Who was/is on tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

Our embarrassingly ugly Eurovision entrants were on first. Next up was Jerry Hall. At that point I gave up, so I haven't got a clue who was on next. At a rough guess, I'd say it was either a Liveline-esque sob-story, a shit middle-of-the-road band or another Z-lister whom nobody recognises. Pure bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

your right about the liveline story some women who had her wallet stolen on the bus and it contained "all" her money in the world.only caught a glimpse while channel surfing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

RTE wrote:
    That is not the case at all - it's roughly 50-50 now, depending on the strength of the advertising market. The figures quoted are closer to those prior to the licence increase, and even then it was about 30/70.

RTÉ could not survive in a credible fashion on advertising revenues alone.

They could if there was something on that advertisers wanted to run their ad during...
    As it stands, if I were in the position to be putting an ad on the TV, I'd run a mile from putting it on RTÉ, especially during a lame duck like the late late.
    But sure, keep paying Kenny and the rest of em the astounding salaries whilst simultaneously pissing off the general public...don't bother investing in infrastructure like digital broadcasting or new talent. Pr*cks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Pigman II wrote:

What a creepy coincidence! When I woke up this morning I had one too. Probably won't hear much about it on the news though.

Advertisement