Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I love the 270 game!

Options
  • 29-04-2005 8:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Quick update on the 270 game, it just finished about an hour ago (half six, the longest game so far). 135 runners, 33K prize pool. Finished 2nd for 6350 euro biggrin.gif, so I'm closing in on Davey Devils success rate in this tourney!. Some payout details:

18-11: 400euro (cant remember the people)
    10: ?? 550euro
    9: Old guy, approx 1K
    8: Goran, approx 1K
    7: Christy Smith, approx 1K
    6: ???, approx 1K
    5: Joe McGann, approx 1K
    4: Niall O'Callaghan, approx 2K??
    3: Brian Vickers, 3250 euro
    2: Derek Murray, 6350 euro
    1: Mick McCloskey, 12,500 euro

This is as close as I can remember, there may be some differences in some positions. Roryc was indeed very unlucky to finish on the bubble, but he played a great game all through the tournament (as well as winning another ticket in an early satellite... there must be a record there somewhere).

No deals done at all at the final table, which is quite rare. By the time we were three-handed, Mick McClosky was big chip leader. Then his KK knocked out Brian Vickers AQ to put him about 5/1 chip leader heads up, and to be honest, he just slaughtered me.

There were a huge amount of bad beats as well during the night, particularily for the Aces (A lot of Ax v AA, with the Ax winning). Another big hand from the night involved BrendanB, but he can tell you more about that (if it's not too painful!).

Anyway, I need sleep... fourteen hour of poker (I played the satellites beforehand), but it feels damn good now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Congrats, that's a nice chunk of change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

CONGRATS! Very nice results. Hopefully we can have a few reports later from those who lasted longer than I did. Went out at the stroke of midnight (my car had turned into a pumpkin around this time too), tried to limp in with JQc, two other limpers and the BB (who was on tilt after losing most of his stack) went all-in for the second time in ten minutes. I was short stacked (around 4k, blinds of 300/600) and thought I wasn't very far behind and knew I needed to make a move. I decided to push, the two other limpers folded, he flipped 77. Flop came A 10 9 rainbow, which gave me lots and lots of outs (14?), his faced dropped but the turn and the river didn't help. Wasn't particularly displeased with my night, as I hadn't made too many mistakes and played very well at times. Both DocFarrell and Big Dragon were going strong up there on the balcony when I left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭pokertroll

Very well done Derek, weren't you fairly shortstacked just before we moved from McGrattans?

Goran and Niall must have made some comeback to get to the final table - both had about 10K at the last 3 tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kevthecelt

well it was the first time i played in the big one and hopefully not the last, i was in mcgrattans too and was chip leader by the time we moved, i had nearly 50k after i made a ballsy call to a really loose/aggressive player, the flop came 222 i had pocket 8's, he was first to act and he checked, i bet 5k into about a 20k pot, he almost immediately went all in, so after thinking about his style of play and replaying the hand for about 2 or 3 mins, i called, he turned over KJ, he didnt get any help after that and i took a monster pot :D
    played pretty solid when we got to the fitz but was always around 40k, then last 14 came around and i had AK, the guy with the green WSOP 2000 cap raised in front of me to about 35k i went all in for around 40k, everyone folded until it was back around to him, i was so wrecked at this stage so i turned over my AK before he had a chance to call the extra 5k!!, he sees it and claims he has an ace but not as good a kicker, i knew if he called he was gonna get lucky, and thats what he did, he turned over A10, and caught his 10 on the flop :( pretty gutted but hey thats poker.Was still the best tourney ive ever played in :) Some cracking plays that night well done lads

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Yeh you played really well last night. I was the one you were talking to that went out in 19th (AAAAAAAAAAGGHHHHH!). You made some great calls and a brilliant fold of AJ against the bullets. You should seriously consider playing Saturdays game with your winnings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Left the Fitz at 7am and got to work for 8.. so taking the hit now but well worth it.

It was a tough final 3 tbls alright. 30 players left with the average about 25k. I started with 10.5k but by the final table I had worked it up to 65k (1010, AK etc). I peaked at 140k with 6 left (675k chips in play) but never got above the average and survived to get 4th. Of course I had some outdraws (Derek I won't say anything about 68clbs!! :)) but I also had my fair share of luck! The blinds were crazy and very few turn cards saw the light of day but it was all about pre-flop strategy. Some very good moves were made with very tight chips stacks. Well played to all. Derek congrats on a great payout and Mick of course who took the full 12.5k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Yeah, great game all, and thoroughly enjoyable.

Niall, there's no doubt you deserved to finish higher than me, you played the last two tables really well. I felt really guilty (well, a little bit anyway) over the 68c hand when you held A9 spades (I hit runner runner sixes to double up). But at this stage the blinds were killing me and I like making all-in moves with those sort of cards... they're usually very live. And it's not like I called with them! :) It was a pity that Mick had such a big chip lead, because I think a 4-way split would have been the fairest on everyone after such a slog. As it happened Brian was very unlucky to run into KK with his AQ, but it was nice to move up to second place without having to get involved! It could just as easily have been any of us in the top two, but I just won my marginal all-ins when they counted (a couple of times with the worst of it, but that's usually the difference in the Fitz final tables).

And kevthecelt, undoubtedly the best display I've ever seen by a first timer in the 270 game; if you keep that up it wont be long before you're in the money. Same goes for Rory, you two guys were putting some of the regulars to shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

pokertroll wrote:
    Very well done Derek, weren't you fairly shortstacked just before we moved from McGrattans?

Goran and Niall must have made some comeback to get to the final table - both had about 10K at the last 3 tables.

Thanks a million, Mark. Niall played really well in the last two tables, and Goran was unlucky to go out when his 44 steal ran into KK.

I had the strangest tournament ever in that I never doubled up at all until the final table. I had to stay alive by stealing blinds and re-raising steal attempts all night, but the funny thing was that I was never once called on a steal attempt (with the exception of the final table), and I was generally stealing once a round... I just picked up the blinds every time. So in fairness, I was lucky not to run into a hand all night. Has this ever happened to anyone else on here?

A tough hand after the break as well. I hold KK in the SB. LP raises to 700, and I make it 2K, which he calls. Flop comes AQT rainbow, which is pretty hateful. I check (and then berate myself for checking), and LP moves all in for 3/4s of my stack. I have one of those spidey-sense moments and I'm convinced he doesn't hold an Ace (probably the all-in move, I suppose), and call. He shows 88, which doesn't improve and he's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

There doesn't seem to have been much bad play last night, given my own experiences and what I can gather from everyone's posts. Anyone play at a loose table?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭pokertroll

ionapaul wrote:
    There doesn't seem to have been much bad play last night, given my own experiences and what I can gather from everyone's posts. Anyone play at a loose table?

Table 2 was pretty loose - very difficult to steal the blinds because Brian Vickers had a huge stack from the start and he would call with anything.

He tripled through early on when he called a large preflop raise by Brian(older guy with glasses)
    Flop was 10 10 10.
    One guy bet 1000, raiser called and brian hesitantly called.
    Turn was a rag and first to act went all-in. Preflop raiser called and Brian called.

First guy who went all in had pocket 2s, raiser has the aces and Brian had 10 8 for flopped quads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kevthecelt

thanks for the props lads, i doubt my bankroll can afford the big game on sat but i'll prob play in the 100 game on monday :) great game again, look forward to playing with you all again

Advertisement