Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bios flash help

Options
  • 28-04-2005 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

I downloaded the bios and extracted them to a folder on my C: drive called test, and I'm running win xp so i created a DOS boot disk and booted from this I am then presented with an A:\ prompt but I cannot change to C: drive by typing C: and then hitting enter. what am i doing wrong this is seriously annoying me at the moment any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Is you hard-drive SATA? Or formatted as NTFS?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

It is sata but I know that it shows up as NTFS in difrag and a few other things.... has the sata connectors though.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

You may need to include ntfsdos on your boot disc or put the bios files on the floppy or create a boot CD including the bios files.

Hope these alternative options help.

Cal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Buzz_Irl

have u tried flashing from the floppy rather than the c drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

This is because DOS has no native support for the NTFS file system and your hard drive is using NTFS therefore is not accessible. You could put the flasher and the bios rom file on the floppy instead and work completely off the A: drive but TBH, is there a reason why you need to flash your bios. If something goes wrong and the flash doesn't take properly it's often bye bye motherboard you know! I don't mean to sound like a smartass but flashing bios is a risky procedure even for a more knowledgeable user and if your pc is working fine I wouldn't advise doing it at all.
    Also as it is a SATA drive your hard disk would probably require additional drivers to be loaded depending on the SATA controller.

• Advertisement
Advertisement