Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

magnet near a monitor

Options
  • 28-04-2005 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭

will the damage on the screen go away after a while???????

roan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

takes a while, degaussing it in the OSD helps a bit too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

how long do you think

can degauss it all

ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Depending on how bad it is, you may need a degaussing wand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you'll screw up your monitor permanently if you leave it there for too long. thats why pc speakers are mgnetically shielded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

it is an imac and you can degausing

it is down one side of the monitor

thanks

ronan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

When that happend to me I just had to turn the moniter on and off and it dissapeard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Depends how bad it is.... magnets control the electrons as the are fired down the cathode ray tube. By Distorting the magnetic field, you disturb the path, resulting in garbled picture. Normally degaussing will fix it, however after prolonged exposure it can remain permenant. Unless you get a large electromagnet (degaussing wand). I would advise you to remove the source. Turning the monitor on and off can help, as most monitors will degauss when it's switched on, hence the sound + Flash.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

You might be able to rectify it by moving a large unshielded magnet -like in some hifi speakers, esp. the type where there is a bass bin and two separate smaller speakers- around about 2 feet from the affected area. I once got the colours back to normal on an old monitor which had been switched on while upside down (geomagnetic correction went bananas or something, don't ask :) )
    It is really hit and miss though , you might even make it worse if you move the wrong way.

Advertisement