Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a domain name

Options
  • 28-04-2005 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭

I'm was trying to buy a domain name but the one that I wanted was all ready taken so I decided to wait untill it expired. The name expired on the 26th of this month but its still not available to buy. Is there a grace given of a couple of weeks before the name is put up for sale. This domain was registered 5 years and nothing done with it.

Anybody know about these things, its a .com domain.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

There is a grace period allright. I think it differs on a per-registrar basis. Get in touch with the registrar and express an interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

it could take 2-3 months before you can buy it. depends on the register that it was original purchased through. i wouldnt bother contacting the person that owns it as chances are they will reregister it if they know some1 is interested and try sell it 2 u. then again u could be lucky. You COULD pay one of those domain watcher business like www.snapnames.com. I wouldnt but hey i a cheap ****! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

if it's any indication as to time scales... one of my domains expired about a week ago. I can re-register it without penalty within 20 days of it's expiration and after that it goes into holding for a further 75 days. During that time it'll cost $175 to re-register it. After that time has elapsed it's fair game for anyone to register it. That's just the registrar I'm using though. I'm sure if you look around the website of the registrar the domain is registered with they'll have some policies up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

thanks for the info will wait for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

There's a fantastic blog article out there about acquiring a domain in similar circumstances. 15 minutes with google should sort you out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement