Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound on right only

Options
  • 28-04-2005 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I can only hear sound from the right speaker.. I have tried the balance, thats fine.. I tried head phones (to check if it was maybe the speaker that was bust) still only on right headphone.. I re-installed drivers (santa cruz) still no luck..

One thing though. the other day I had the music up real loud, could it be possible that i damaged the speakers.. if so, wouln't the headphones not work..
    I also tried front and back ports..

I need to know, cos like its such a pain listening to it on one side, with headphones.. thanks.. this is kinda urgent.. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Stix

If the right speaker doesnt work but the right earphone does, it means the speaker is bust.

If neither of them work, then you have another problem.

Did you check the leads are hooked up correctly ?

Usually one speaker (normally the left one i think, in my experience anyway) hooks up to the source (in this case your pc) and the right one is run off the left speaker. As opposed to both speakers being directly connected to the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

no no no .. look only on the right it works.. as u look at the pc.. the right side works (headphone on right... desktop speaker on right)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Sounds lie a broken soundcard to me. If niether speaker or headphone works on the left then it leaves very few possibilities other than maybe the jack socket on the card (unlikely unless you ripped out the jack plug, but the damage would be physical and probably noticable) or the card itself is borked.

Is the sound card built onto the motherboard or a PCI card. If it's PCI can you try it in another computer, a friends maybe?

I'm pretty sure it's a pci card.. I just tried the headphones on a mini-disc and tey work left and right.. so yea sound card damage..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

You could always try a bit of cable wiggling, play something that should be coming out on both speakers, or better yet use balance to put it all the the speaker that's not working. Start by plugging the speakers out of the sound card and back in again, then work your way up the cable giving each bit of it a wiggle in each direction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Any chance you went messing or someone else did and threw the balance to the right speaker 100%

Nukem

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Happened to me, with my onboard sound. Robbed a sound card from my downloading pc and stuck it in, all's good.

John

good idea lump, might rob one from the pc in the corner..

Advertisement