Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High pitched electrical noise on television

Options
  • 28-04-2005 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct forum but my tv (Phillips 32inch widescreen 3 years old) has developed a high pitched whining noise. It started off as an intermittant problem but now has become almost constant. It resembles the noise you hear when you have tinnitus or if you have been to a loud concert or club.

The tv is out of warranty. Any ideas of what the cause may be and a possible fix?

I was thinking it may be interference from other cables behind the tv - playstation video, dvd sky box etc but don't have any idea of how to remedy it.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Just an idea to try - remove any scart (or other) inputs and see if the sound disappears. If it does, at least you know it's not a fault with the TV (as such). Then try attaching the other equipment one at a time - when the noise comes back, you'll have found your culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

Sound like the tube to me. I dont think its worth getting repaired. My Philips does the same too, however mine is far more than 3 years old. It does go now and again but I since I hardly use it I dont bother to get a new tube, which philips brobably dont stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Antenna

just to clarify - the sound is coming from a component inside the TV - not through the loudspeaker?

Could be the LOPT (Line Output Transformer) -

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Could indeed be teh LOPT. Or, it may be the tube base or worse, the tube itself (though I don't think it's the tube). Philips don't exactly make the best tubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I haven't managed to isolate it. Funnily enough the noise hasn't been so bad over the past few days (or maybe I'm growing immune to it)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

Most likely its a 15.625 KHZ buzz from the LOPT.

At least its a sign that yor ears are in good shape since many people (especially those who go clubbing regularly) cant hear frequencies that high

A lot of older and/or cheapr TV's have quite a loud LOPT buzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭d-j-k

I hear that noise from almost every TV. It's just the tube / high voltage electrical stuff working normally.

It just means your ears are in good working order!

I've noticed 100Hz TVs tend to make less tube noise though..

The best thing you can do is ignore it or buy a plasma!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

hear that noise from almost every TV. It's just the tube / high voltage electrical stuff working normally.
    Yes but some TV's are a lot worse than others
    I've noticed 100Hz TVs tend to make less tube noise though...
    because the line frequency is twice as high (four times if its a progressive) and vary few people can hear 31KHz !

The best thing you can do is ignore it
    Can be quite hard if you are blessed (or cursed in this instance) with good hearing. The high piched buzz drives some people (not to mention pets) mad
    or buy a plasma!
    An LCD would be cheaper !

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I find that some plasma's can be a bit noisy too. But I suppose they keep the room warm! :)

Advertisement