Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First night of the poker fest

Options
  • 28-04-2005 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭

Anyone play? Could the rest of us get a report, pleeeeeeeeaaaasee?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Yes that would be nice, along with the format used ie. starting chip quantity, rebuy chip quantity, blind levels and numbers of players attended. Also if the upstairs is not in action yet how is the crowd catered for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Mmm, where to start... Starting chips were 2000, with people there at 8.30 getting an extra 500. Rebuy chips were also 2000, but I'm not sure if this increased as your number of rebuys increased. Top-up chips were 3500.

87 players in all. There seemed to be a big variance in the number of rebuys: there were only three rebuys at our table, but something like fifteen at another. Anyway, the final prize-pool was a little over 12000, giving a final table payout of 5K for 1st down to 200 for 9th. Also, players 10 to 18 also got 100euro back. This worked by playing down to 18 players instead of 20 for the final two tables.

Regarding the split-venue issue, there were five starting tables in the Fitz and four in the other place (still not sure where this is). When we got down to four tables, the outside players were brought back to the Fitz, with three tables on the balcony and one downstairs. This caused a bit of a delay in the middle of the tournament, so it might annoy people who dont like too many breaks in the tournament flow (e.g. I dont!), but it was handled really well by the Fitz staff as usual. To be honest, it's much more of an inconvenience to those guys than the players, and I'm sure Luke is really disappointed at having to move players offsite in their first festival. One thing about split-venue: it means that you will often be playing 7- or 8-handed rather than 9/10-handed early on.

So who made the final table? Regarding the regulars, I know Vivian was there and I think David O'Callaghan was also there (incidently, I've played at his table a few times in the Fitz, and Barcelona was definately no fluke, he's an excellent player), but after that I'm not sure. I think it finished up around 3.30am, and I'm sure the usual deal was done late on.

My own story is that early on I was getting hit in the face by both cards and flop, but a move to another table saw me going card-cold and finding little opportunity to steal (it was a fairly agressive table, and someone had usually moved before I got a chance). It's annoying when you get into a good rythym at one table, but cant get going at all at another table, but thats tournament poker.

I eventually went out in 15th or so; myself and Kevin Farrelly got knocked out in the same hand by the chip leader, both of us shortstacked. As it happened, I'm kind of happy about the way I went out: I'm on BB for 4K, Kevin Farrelly moves all-in for 19K, big stack calls, and it's back around to me. I have 15K left, so I'm getting nearly 3/1 on my money and I'm sure there's no way I'm worse than a 3/1 dog, so obvious call. Kevin had A5c, big stack has 99, and I have JTo, so I'm only a 2/1 dog in the hand. Of course, the nines hold up, but I felt quite good about getting my money in in this spot (Thank you Sklansky and TPFAP!).

One last thing I really liked were the card-protectors given out to all players at the final table... really good quality solid silver. I hope these are just given out in Festivals like these, and not made more generally available when it's over, as they really are quite exclusive!

I doubt there's anyone still reading, but if there is, apologies for the length of the post! smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Nice report! Any idea if the festival is going to be using the split venue for the whole duration?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

The second venue worked out really well, and to everyone that played you were a pleasure to deal with/to. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Thanks for the detailed report Lenny, much appreciated and well done on 15th. Sounded like a good tournament and well run by the competent Fitz staff despite the obstacles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

lafortezza wrote:
    Nice report! Any idea if the festival is going to be using the split venue for the whole duration?

AFAIK, the split venue is going to be used for the whole Festival, but maybe someone from the Fitz will clarify.

Advertisement