Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smoke nads

• 28-04-2005 8:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi all,

Ok.....running down a to the end of an hallway where one of the opposition had thrown a smoke nade were I intended to get some cover....next thing bang!! bang!!...........I was thinking lucky shot, that was untill I watched the replay..... No smoke at all on in his view. So I've been looking out for this and it happens quite a bit, what is the reason for this lads.

tks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I never play UO so I'm not familiar with this... It must be a bug. I wouldn't say it's a cheat as you would still see the smoke in the replay (if someone has a cheat disabling the smoke, it will only work on their PC).

Has anyone else had this problem before?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Our clan play UO everynight and none have ever mentioned this.
    I wouldnt trust the replays tbh,wouldnt judge on the strength of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭wideband

Hi Dcully,

Which part of the replay wouldnt you trust, i thought the replays were just short recordings........have a look out for the smoke nades e.g. throw a few around and sit and wait for an opponent and watch the replays

let us know how you get on..

tks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I rember seeing somthing like that in DOOM3. At a LAN 2 pc were playing doom3 and 2 guys staning close to each other one couldent see the other in the shaddows. We checked the brightness settings of the 2 players and they were the same. One was ati and the other was an Nvidia card and the ati couldent do the shaddow. Is the smoke part of nvidia fog im wondering therefore not viewable on ati. I doubt this is the case but worth concidering.

Hi spooky donkey,

Sorry, but does that mean players can't see me sitting in the middle of a smoke nades, and it just doesn't show up on a kill-cam replay

tks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well i dont know reallly, im just wodering myself if players with nvidia cards see different things than ATI. When im at my next LAN i`ll check that out get to lads to play UO with the 2 types of cards and see who can see who!

I some how doubt it though, Activision would hardly release a game with a bug like that. Just worth looking to is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I have 9800pro and cant see a f**king thing through the smoke......if that is any help to anyone? prob not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

im using a 6800LE and cant see through the smoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

I'm pretty sure its just a bug in the killcam replays. As someone said theres no way activision would release a game with that type of major bug in its mutiplayer system.

Well, I was wondering is it a cheat that can be used and not so much a bug in the game...ill take a screen shot the next chance i get. Im using the Nvidia 6800 ultra.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Libero

I've seen this kind of thing happen many a time. Just a couple of observations...

1. I've been fragged many times with smoke around and the kill-cam shows no smoke in my fragger's view. First impression = cheat! But then I observe them in spectator mode and there is smoke. So unless it's a cheat unique to their PC, the smoke isn't turned off. Not too familiar with how a graphics card can be adjusted to do this. Still, need to remember that it is an advantage to see smoke so you can use it yourself.

2. It could always be a jammy frag. A good player (even one with a single-shot rifle) could guess someone's path running into the smoke, or estimate where people often crouch or stick their heads, e.g. a window opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Seen this the other day in kill cam.....I was in the middle of smoke and bang...dead....watched kill cam and it looked like no smoke.....but he was just firing off rounds so got lucky I suppose!!

Advertisement