Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another try at having a book club on here perhaps?

Options
  • 28-04-2005 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

There seems to be a lot of interest, and I know I'd be well up for it.

Maybe if we picked a multiple choice of books varying from light to heavy reading and had some light discussion on each?

Picking a book like Catch 22 is not going to be suitable for everyone, some people don't want to talk about complicated books which are open to interpretation (ie not all of us were english majors, or really dug the whole critical analysis of books in that style).

Maybe a heavy choice for the people who like to procrastinate and rambling about themes and the author's obvious influences from mid 17th century pig herder poetry.

And a few light or at least very accessable books where topics such as the quality of writing, favourite image from the book, fav metaphor and such other light and fun topics could be discussed?

That way we can cater for both those who like their "serious literature" and those of us who prefer a light afternoon's read.

Would people be interested?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

I'd be up for it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissRibena

I know I'm only new (well I lurked a lot) but I'd give it a shot too. I have tried online bookgroups before but without the face-to-face meetings I just haven't been disciplined enough. However, I'll harden my resolve and get stuck in this time.

I really like the idea of having two "levels" of reads on the go. If the books are too light, there is little to say or debate and classics can be off-putting for some.

Rebecca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Yule3

I would definately be up for it...especially as its more convenient to go online rather than trudging all the way out to a meeting. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Have to disagree about Catch 22... you hardly need an English degree to discuss that. I haven't met anybody who wasn't eager to discuss that book after reading it - its kind of insulting that you would classify Catch 22 as a book too heavy and complicated for the average boardsier. If you shy away from books which are "open to interpretation" then it really diminishes the point of a book club, since discussion of different interpretations to writing is usually the main focus of such a group. If you want an uncomplicated book which is not open to interpretations then you'll be discussing How to Boil an Egg.

I get the point you're making, about the university-style over analysis, just think you picked the wrong example with Catch 22. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

So what books do you have in mind? And how often would we "meet"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭wasted_winter

I'd love to take part in a book club online!

It would be great to have two clubs running simultaneously – it offers choice – but I don’t think it would be the best idea.

Personally I love having someone choose a book for me – I may not like it… but on the flip side this method proved to introduce me to more authors and styles – those I would have never thought of picking up under my own steam!

I don’t think anyone should need to worry about the ‘University’ element – I’m in the middle of a degree in Literature but like anyone who loves books I just want to be able to discuss them with others. Yes, talking about the in-depth elements can be fun, but not everyone wants to hear about them… nor do they want a literary dissection – that takes the pleasure away from the very simple act. No one should feel as thought they need to ‘study-up’ for the club, it’s just a matter of reading the book and sharing your thoughts!

I think we need to find out how many people would be interested in taking part, then let everyone submit suggestions. The suggestions, or if there are many, the top ten suggestions can be put into a poll. Everyone the club gets a vote.

What does everyone think?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Illkillya wrote:
    Have to disagree about Catch 22... you hardly need an English degree to discuss that. I haven't met anybody who wasn't eager to discuss that book after reading it - its kind of insulting that you would classify Catch 22 as a book too heavy and complicated for the average boardsier. If you shy away from books which are "open to interpretation" then it really diminishes the point of a book club, since discussion of different interpretations to writing is usually the main focus of such a group. If you want an uncomplicated book which is not open to interpretations then you'll be discussing How to Boil an Egg.

I get the point you're making, about the university-style over analysis, just think you picked the wrong example with Catch 22. :)

I agree. I wasn't really saying that Catch 22 was too heavy a book for your average boardser, but that the discussion of said book tended to be more in depth and abstract than would be to the taste of most people who enjoy books.

Every book, no matter how simple can be considered open to interpretation, in that one can interpret the style in which the book is written in, in different ways etc.

What I was suggesting was that we have two books chosen as the reading material for the book club, one leaning more towards the simple side the other leaning towards the more complex side. People would be able to read one or the other or both, depending on their mood. It would also allow people to engage in both heavy and light book discussion depending on their free time and their inclination.

What I'd suggest would be a monthly book turnover. Week 1 of the month the heavy title is thrown out to be read. On Week 3 of the month the lighter title is chosen. With the cycle repeating every 4 weeks. This would allow plenty of time for casual readers to keep up with the books in question, and by staggering the books would allow people a break. If one wanted, one could have a new book starting every week, and remaining in discussion for 4 weeks as a sticky thread.

My point about over-analysis was that the choice of a complex (in regards to interpretation) book as the first book of the book club would intimidate alot of the more casual readers on boards. Ease people back in slowly would be my motto. I'd like to give people a chance to get used to breaking down a book and discussing it before we get into the real meaty books. This would be especially important for people who decide they want to return to reading after many years of not reading. If someone hasn't analysed a book for many years (ie they have finished their education many years ago), they might find it difficult to get back into it, if we are only talking about books which have complex themes and motivations.

The reason I'd see for having more than one style of book in review is because we'd need to cater for different reading levels and speeds. Not everyone is going to be able to start with a work of literature and break it down immediately. Also if we started with just a simple book, the more "wordy" amoung us would feel insulted by the simplicity of it's themes etc.

It's just an idea, nothing more :) If we have new books every week, it makes it very easy for people to join in late. If the discussions on books last for a month then people who don't read quickly have plenty of time to finish the book and they can pick out 1 book a month to work with. Hardcore readers can be doing 4 books a month and breaking down and analysing all of them.

What do people think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

The light and heavy separation is a good idea - i would like to be able to discuss how much i loved/hated a book and why rather than heavy analysis.
    I don't want to return to metaphysical poetry-type literature talk of Leaving Cert!

Also would prefer a decent amount of time to read it, so no rushing and more likely to finish book in time.
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Illkillya wrote:

I think that book was picked as an example because it was the book the last book club here read and it lead to pretty much zero discussion. Not enough people read it and most people (myself included) had nothing to discuss because we were all in agreement basically (i.e. it's a great book).

John2 wrote:
    I think that book was picked as an example because it was the book the last book club here read and it lead to pretty much zero discussion. Not enough people read it and most people (myself included) had nothing to discuss because we were all in agreement basically (i.e. it's a great book).

Exactly. The only reason I was referring to it was because it was the book from the last try at this.

We need something more controversial for the heavy section I feel :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Yep, im interested anyway. Anyone have some book choices ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I'd do the heavy book coz I'm a hard-core reader!

And yes, it must be nice and controversial!

Right there seems to be enough interest to get this off the ground...

I've a load of free time at the moment, so I can offer myself forward for the organising and such if you guys will have me.

How about we throw out some light and heavy book ideas and then have a poll or something to get us started :)

Shogun, For Whom The Bell Tolls, A discworld novel (Thief of Time perhaps) just off the top of my head..... We could all read the DaVinci Code and discuss how Dan Brown could improve is writing skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭lofto

ya i would be up for taking part. maybe the first read could be light to get people into the whole process. i.e. hemingway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭ronano

I'm reading for whom the bell tolls as we speak so i say that!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Beebox

I'd love to do it. Sounds fun! ^_^

ronano wrote:

So am I shhhh!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

put up a poll, or draw up some rules, make a discussion thread and I'll sticky it for you.

I wholeheartedly endorse this event or product. Verily I shall partake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

ronano wrote:

just finished it! so i wouldn't even to read a book to be in this bookclub if we did that, perfect since unlike nesf, i've got NO time for readin' until the end of may.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Out of interest how long would you give to read the 'lighter' books? I'd be up for this if we had a feasible amount of time to enjoy the book too.

I think a fortnight is a good time scale for most books as it gives people who don't get time to read as much the time to read a normal sized book and form some opinions on it too.

Advertisement