Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not the most interesting of hands but still....

Options
  • 27-04-2005 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

blinds 50/100 (i think)

I've got approx 4k in chips, delt As Kc in mid position.

I raise to 200.

2 callers, SB + UTG.

Flop comes 6c Kd 4c

SB raise to 500.

UTG raises to 2500.

extra info -

SB has recently joined the table with a nice big stack of chips, he is drinking lots of water trying to sober up after a day at the races.

UTG has won a fair few pots earlier with some dodgy calls and re-raises (well i would not have been in the pot if i had his cards) such as 9,2 offsuit etc..
    He is clear chip leader at the moment.

Its about 1hour into the merrion 110e freezeout tournament with about 60 players.

Edit - if someone is reading this who was at the table feel free to correct me if i have mixed up something.... or feel free to let me put a name a face.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Unless you saw the SB make big swings at pots with 1 pair or less (on the flop) then normally you should fold. He probably has 2 pair.

You deserve to lose the pot for the preflop action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

What was wrong with my preflop action? Should I have raised more or checked it?

The SB wasn't playing overly tight nor overly loose. Well definetly not as tight as i was playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Rodge

Minimum raise with AK is just asking for trouble, you're giving everyone and anyone odds to call and stomp all over you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

You need to raise more with AK (or limp and be prepared to fold on the flop) if you're not going to get yourself in serious trouble on a frequent basis.

• Advertisement

Last night was my first real game, ive been playing the freerolls for the past 2 months.

Anyhow I played very bad all night, but I did learn a few things.

I though the UTG guy was drawing for the flush, and the SB either had Kings or again was on the flush draw.

I decided I'd play which i know was a bad move, and i knew it was a bad move when making it. I actually thought i was ahead.

I went all-in.

SB thinks for a while, then gets the dealer to do a chip count. Then he folds.

The UTG calls.

UTG had pocket 4s, giving him trips. No flush draw.

SB folded trips, he had pocket 6's.

I went for my jacket.

A club comes on the river, and another on the turn.

I double up.

It was very bad play on my behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Did you make it to the money in your first real game Podgeen? If so, kudos to you, mucho kudos mo chara (yes, I am polylingual :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

as the rest said you were asking for trouble with the small raise ....
    however the play by the SB was most probably the worst I have ever seen. He folded a set of 6s. And you say he was drunk. Normally its the other way round, drunk players get their chips in with s hit. The fact that you would have beaten him makes no difference. Lets start a top ten of all time bad plays. He gets my vote up to now.

The SB got alot of abuse after the hand for folding the trips, the following hand he got pocket 3's, got trips on the flop, only to be beated by pocket 8's who made trips on the flop. He wasn't a happy camper.

No I didnt make it to the money paul. I made a fuk up on the second last table.
    I was SB, I had folded the past 4 times I was SB and let the BB just take the chips as there was no one else in the hand. This time around I get J, 10. Blinds are 400/800 so I thought everyone else had folded around to me, so I raised it to 2k, expecting him to fold.

He folds, next thing the chip leader who had recently joined out table says call. All I could think was fuk, fuk fuk.

Anyways long story short, flop brings a pair of 10's, he checks I move in. He calls, catches the next two cards to make a straight.

I went out in 16th.

I played pretty terrible all night, when i had something decent I never really knew how much to raise etc..

Another hand the bothered me, I have 4k in chips, I call pre-flop for BB which is 800. The button raises it to 2k, everyone else folds. I call.
    Flop comes 222. I consider moving in as a bluff but decide to check as she has been calling all night. She makes a substantial raise that basically puts me all-in. I fold. I put her on a pocket pair. I'll never know.
    Again i should have raised before the flop with my AK.

I enjoyed the game all the same.....

Advertisement