Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Play Ever?? Those JJ again!

Options
  • 27-04-2005 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

Hi

Just wondering yer opinion on a hand here from the Fitz freeroll last Saturday

After been shortstacked the whole tourney (in all in or fold mode) I managed to get to the final table with a reasonable stack of about 17K (blinds 500, 1K)

I'm in seat 3 and very first hand i'm utg with JJ

After a considering folding or maybe limping I decided to make it 4K. The person on my immidiate left who had a similar stack called very quicky and it was folded around.

Flop JQK

OK, so it's up to me. What do you do??

Here's what I did:
    I went all in!
    Well my thinking this:
    From his pre flop call i had a felling that I was up against a strong A. I wasn't worried about QQ or KK, i thought he might have AK /AQ/ AJ and if I went all in he might call. (I certainly wasn't going to let him catch a T on the cheap)
    I thought it unlikely that he would have called so quick with AT and if he did have it well the chances of me filling to a full house were about 30% so that kinda cancelled the worry there in my hungover head..

He had called with AT...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭DeLaBass

ouch!! I feel your pain :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 LordJimbo

With a quick call like that he could have been trying to scare you off.

Just a quick question actually, would it have been wise to test him out after the flop i.e. a mild bet rather than all in or would that have been too weak a play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭john_g83

I am starting to despise Jacks too. Last night in 30 euro STT I had about 11000 chips (average stack) blinds 300/600 6 players left at table I'm in BB 3 callers up to me I look down at JcJh Raise to 3000 all fold bar the person right of small blind.

flop 3 7 10 all clubs
    so I have over pair plus flush draw, want to take down pot there, push all in
    opponent calls with Ac3c :mad:

Did I do anything wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I'd have had a word with the dealer, there was two 3c in that pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭dropsy

JJ is a bugger of a hand to play from early position but I'm pretty certain I would have done something similar in that situation. IMO The PF raise was fine (some players would go all in from there PF but I assume there are still 9 players, you're probably only going to get called by a better hand and the blinds are too small to merit an all in move just to steal them). The call for 1/4 of his stack with AT was a mistake given that he was in position 4 and (presumably) could not call a reraise.

You got your J on the flop and there are not many hands ahead of you. you can't make a small bet on that flop as you don't want a draw to call you and a pot sized bet pretty much pot commits you anyway so I think the push was your only option and you just got unlucky in that the original caller got paid off for a mistaken PF call.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭john_g83

Culchie wrote:
    I'd have had a word with the dealer, there was two 3c in that pack.
    :D
    sorry my bad it was a 2 or 4 or some other inconsequential low club

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

You played the hand fine, it actually made no difference whether you had AA, KK,QQ or JJ; you were going broke that hand unless you pushed preflop, but in the long run you want AT to be calling your raises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Not a thing in the world you can do there. You played it fine perfectly. His call is a -EV play long term. There's no way he had the pot odds to flat call a big raise with the entire table to act behind him. There isn't a single flop other than T T T or A A A that is safe for AT after a big UTG raise. Suck it up and move on.

Advertisement