Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was anyone, by any chance, a member of...

Options
  • 26-04-2005 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭

...Zodo's club?!!!!!!

It was a little club in the Irish Press I think about 15 years ago (maybe more). I remember being a member, getting my name in the paper when it was my birthday and getting a little membership card in the post. I can even remember my password.....

I have a feeling I'm gonna be alone here....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

No but I was in the Lego club and a member of the Dennis the menace (and Gnasher) fan club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Gordon wrote:
    and a member of the Dennis the menace (and Gnasher) fan club.
    Me too - I might still have my hairy Gnasher badge somewhere...

Was Zodo a creature or just a silly name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I think Zodo was an alien (Who visited Ireland to set up a membership club for kids) Come on there was loads of kids innit...surely there's someone out there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Hester

I was in Zodo's club!! :D

I don't remember much about it because I was pretty young at the time. I have a vague memory of a (blue?) membership card and a secret password. I used to have a Zodo t-shirt and I was so proud of it :o

My mum sent in a photo of me, my brother and sister and it was printed in the paper. My sister got a couple of letters printed too, along the lines of "I love you Zodo" :rolleyes: My mum kept them - I must ask her if she can dig them out again.

YES!!!! Great stuff...i remember that we had to stick a little picture of ourselves on the membership card and the secret password was printed upside down on the card...!! We should go for zodo drinks!!! lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Eh no I was in the lego club and I think something to do cadburys....I have a badge and stuff and membership papers around here somewhere but it's as if aliens had removed any memory of it from my brain...hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I was an altar girl. No badges come with that honour! All I got was a priest phobia...

fade2black wrote:
    YES!!!! Great stuff...i remember that we had to stick a little picture of ourselves on the membership card and the secret password was printed upside down on the card...!! We should go for zodo drinks!!! lol
    Yeah, the Zodo Club reunited! :p There must be a few more members out there.

It's coming back to me now... I remember there'd be a story about Zodo's adventures and then loads of letters and pictures. It was so exciting to have my name in the paper. Ah, the disappointment when Zodo was no more :(

Yeah! To hell with Aodhan Madden and the rest of the Irish Press staff.....bring back zodo I say!

Yeah, all his little adventures they're coming back to me now too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Never heard of this Zodo of which you speak, but my friend had a BurgerKing kids club membership card that i was mad jealous of!

& i wanna join this fan club: http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/JoeDolan/fanclub.htm

you get a membership card, a badge, newsletters, colour photo...

it's €12 a year & i wanna join!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Zodo would not be happy about all this thread splitting!!!

The only reference to Zodo I can find on the net is a paragraph in somebody's blog. Surely he had more of an impact than that :(

link me to this blog!! After my search was fruitless I, for a brief period, began to think it was all a big green dream...

fade2black wrote:
    link me to this blog!! After my search was fruitless I, for a brief period, began to think it was all a big green dream...
    You need to brush up on your google skills ;)

Linky

And the paragraph in question:

"...And the now defunct 'Irish Press' - I won a writing contest in that paper when i was 10. Zodo visited at Christmas with Santa and left me my first audiobook - A Christmas Carol. That lovable alien later wrote about his travels mentioning his visit to Enfield and our dog Lucky. My one appearance in a national newspaper and I don't have a record of it. If only my parents had been more interested in me..."

I think this thread could be the start of a zodo comeback....we'll get our pictures in the paper and everything....

Hmm, are you in college? You could start a Zodo society! Although it doesn't look like too many people remember him...

Nah finished college...i'm hoping tomorrow will bring a whole new set of zodo apostles....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

they used to release a schools suppliment periodically in the Irish press, back in the days when it was a broadsheet. are you sure it was fifteen years ago? think it was more like 18 or 19 years ago.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a broadsheet at the time. I'm nearly 21 and I remember it so 15 years sounds about right.

You're probably right. I've lost all concept of time to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

it was no doubt running for several years. I can remember it when I was in school in third class, that would have been 85/86.

The Irish press became a tabloid newspaper around 89 or 90 before finally going under a few years later.

yeah, that sounds about right to me...I have an astonishing memory for some things from my childhood...Zodo just happens to be one of them. (I think that was the decade of membership clubs cause I was in the turtles one too, they sent me loads of stuff including a lovely set of bright green aluminous laces)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭[InsertHandle]

Can I join the Cult of Zodo ... can we have scrifices and burn stuff?? ... in the name of Zodo of course

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Not a member of the club but I remember him. Came across this randomly while looking up something else. From 1987.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm jealous of your Dennis and gnasher membership

Advertisement