Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soundtracks to our lives...

• 26-04-2005 8:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭

As part of my recent policy of pulling back out old albums I haven't listened to in ages I was listening to the Manic's "This is my truth" last night and got completely swept back to first year of college. That album was quite literally the soundtrack to my first real relationship and I've been finding it quite hard to resist the temptation to look up the girl in question and find out what she's doing with her life now since...

I've always found that this power to help me remember things is one of the things I love about music. The Manics / The Verve brings me back to first year of college, The Bends brings me back to being about 16 in secondary school, James Taylor reminds me of time spent with my Dad setting up our new stereo when I was 14/15.

So, this leads me to ask, in true boards.ie fashion: what are the albums that bring you back? What have been the soundtracks to different eras of your life?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

the one constant album that i have always loved and always listen to is monster by REM, it is one of the most complete rock albums- back in the day of the cassette just before cd came in widespread like, it had 2 really distinct sides the first starts with frequency and then mellows out with tongue and strange currencies but throw in star69 just to remind people its a filthy rock record, then side the second you have Let me In, my faavourite song but circus envy cannot be overlooked either,

and back to the thread, all the songs on this record i can identify with times i've lived in and through so for me it's the biz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Nirvana, Nevermind - School discos moshing with all the grungers!
    The Prodigy, Music for the Jilted Generation - first real nights out in a nightclub. esp No Good start the Dance.
    Radiohead, The Bends: a sunny day in Galway watching an amazing band with great mates (Radiohead).

Too many to mention really. I find songs twig memories as opposed to albums as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

No Good Start The Dance will always remind me of teenage discos *cringe*

It's funny, for me, a song can bring back a moment or a day of my life, whereas some albums remind me of entire years (usually the year they came out or I discovered the band). Probably due to the fact that I'm a total sucker for keeping albums on almost constant rotation when I like them a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

placebo, for when i really started listening to "good" music...
    smashing pumpkins for anytime id stay in me granny's in leitrim...
    system of a down for that holiday to portugal while reading dracula, for some reason..
    'tallica, the black album, for reading the hobbit...

tis weird the memories listning to my old albums is bringin back!

right now, im listening to the songs off the mixed tape in perks of being a wallflower...
    its amazing, i dont think ill ever forget how good it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Origin of Symmetry- summer after 2nd year, best summer ever

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Sleepy wrote:
    As part of my recent policy of pulling back out old albums I haven't listened to in ages I was listening to the Manic's "This is my truth" last night and got completely swept back to first year of college. That album was quite literally the soundtrack to my first real relationship and I've been finding it quite hard to resist the temptation to look up the girl in question and find out what she's doing with her life now since...

I've always found that this power to help me remember things is one of the things I love about music. The Manics / The Verve brings me back to first year of college, The Bends brings me back to being about 16 in secondary school, James Taylor reminds me of time spent with my Dad setting up our new stereo when I was 14/15.

So, this leads me to ask, in true boards.ie fashion: what are the albums that bring you back? What have been the soundtracks to different eras of your life?

Christ that is a bit freaky. That Manic's album ALWAYS, in a significant way reminds me of my first year in college and in particular sitting on the bus waving at my girlfriend as I headed to the big smoke. Good stuff sleepy, you brought back some interesting memories there. You'd be amazed too at the power of the memories when I hear this album - extremely vivid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Jesus & Mary Chain - Psychocandy, soundtracked my early teenage years (1985/86) along with The Smiths - The Smiths/Meat Is Murder/The Queen Is Dead

New Order - Brotherhood, The Fall - Bend Sinister and Prince - Sign Of The Times soundtracked my Inter Cert year (1986/87)

Wedding Present - George Best, Dinosaur Jr - You're Living All Over Me remind me of 5th year and my first part time job in a supermarket which became everyday after school

My Bloody Valentine - Isnt Anything, The Cure - Disintegration, Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation, The Fall - I Am Kurious Oranj, Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back and Pixies - Surfer Rosa soundtracking my Leaving Cert year (1988/89)

fade2black wrote:
    Christ that is a bit freaky. That Manic's album ALWAYS, in a significant way reminds me of my first year in college and in particular sitting on the bus waving at my girlfriend as I headed to the big smoke. Good stuff sleepy, you brought back some interesting memories there. You'd be amazed too at the power of the memories when I hear this album - extremely vivid.
    Just don't tell me her name was Jillian too! :p

Been listening to it a lot lately again and the memories it's bringing back are fantastic. It's actually on my stereo as I type this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

haha No....

Did you go to slane that year too by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I love digging out old albums and giving them a listen, they almost always bring back some memories. I love how they do that :D

For me id say (in chronological order)
    Beck - mellow gold. This album (even tho i havent heard it in years now), but even thinking of the songs in it reminds me of my first ever gf waaaay back in 94 when i was just a wee 14 yr old.

Alice in chains - Jar of flies/sap. I think this is one of the best albums ever written. Its incredible, and always reminds me of summer 95 and the first girl i ever fell in love with..awwww. :rolleyes:

Soundgarden - Down on the upside. A class, if just a tad depressing, album that always reminds me of the summer of 96, kinda like bryan adams summe rof 69..only opposite. Like the anti-bryan adams if you will. But enough of this adams nonsens, a great summer, great album. :D

Failure - Magnified. Now were into the dark times of late 97, just left school, no college course, no job, and things are looking sh!t. F*cking brilliant album tho.

And just last summer, lateralus by tool, but thats more metal than indie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinate Saddness
    has and always will remind me of secondry school, the good parts of it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

I thought you were going to be talking about the swedish band with the big fat singer in a Khafdan. Misleading title....

fade2black wrote:
    haha No....

Did you go to slane that year too by any chance?
    Yup. Great gig. :)
    I thought you were going to be talking about the swedish band with the big fat singer in a Khafdan. Misleading title....
    Ever the obscurist, eh magpie? :p

Ever the obscurist, eh magpie?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Hmmm pearl jam-binaural...got a song on it called about it a girl ( i think) reminds me of a boy...

Theres always Fleetwood mac-reminds me of my family dancing round the kitchen in the good ol days

Queens of the stone age-songs for the deaf...bestest ever ever concert I've ever been to

Manics-not the holy bible the other one....
    Well that and the time i saw the manics....I didn't even have to jump, ended up wedged between two big lads who when they jumped I came with them, it was great!

Then theres; kerbdog-on the turn, Aimee mann-magnolia ost, Elliot smith-xo, sherylcrow-globe sessions (I was young, leave me be), Bellx1-neither am i, daft punk-homework, anything by the smiths, cure-imaginary boys, Pixies-bossanova, phoenix-united, ryan adams-gold, high fidelity soundtrack....god bless nick hornby-read the book first though!!!pumpkins always reminds me of school and this one girl I went to school with...odd though.and most of all

deathcabforcutie-transatlanticism....reminds me of Uaneen Fitzsimons :/ legend of a dj if ever there was one...

There are countless others, most of which remind me of boys, boys I never got, boys I had, etc, or my crazy friends and crazy dancing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

when i saw the thread title, i thought it was about the band 'soundtrack of our lives'... good swedish band

What's the Story (Morning Glory)? always reminds me of our school tour/exchange trip to Germany in 1995. It was just released and was the sound of that year for me...

'The Bends' by Radiohead and 'The Great Escape' by Blur remind me of my junior cert for some reason... were out around that time

There are various albums that remind me of certain times etc and you associate them with certain places that you were when you were listening to them or what book you were reading etc

when i saw the thread title, i thought it was about the band 'soundtrack of our lives'... good swedish band

Why am I getting Deja Vu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

magpie wrote:
    Why am I getting Deja Vu?

didn't read your post... doh! ;)

Well at least i've found someone else that likes them...

Advertisement