Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone heard of the International Foundation fo Adult Education

Options
  • 25-04-2005 7:17pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have seen an advertisement in a National newspaper for a Diploma in Social Studies by Distance Edudation. It is run by the 'International Foundation for Adult Education'. They have an address in Cork, and also in the Netherlands. I was wondering if anyone out there had heard or them and if they are legitimate? As I am interested in the course, but I don't want to find out afterwards that the course is not recognised by employers here.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

From what I know, they award their own awards which aren't anything other than the 'International Foundation for Adult Education' saying you have a Diploma in Social Studies - I don't think they have any formal value - I stand to be corrected though...maybe someone out there has done the course and can post about it!

I knew someone a couple of years back who signed up and from what I remember, they didn't seem to impressed and decided not to continue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mairead-Mermaid

Hi, the International Foudation for Adult Education is a very reputable school. I did their Social Studies diploma in 1988/89. Four of us got a grant to do it and I went on to do a degree in sociology and english after. Two of my colleagues also went on to university.
    It is different though, I was so used to learning everything off after just doing my leaving cert, that when I did the IFAE social stuydies course I actually had to learn to think for myself. I would say it's great for anyone who wants to go on to university. We loved it, a brilliant course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I liked this course too but for reasons couldnt finish.

still miss the correspondence from my "tutor" in holland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭blobert

I'm about half way through this course at the moment.

The IFAE have been around for more than 20 years, they have a pretty good reputation but the course is not accredited by anyone but themselves.

I'm doing it purely to add to my CV, I've been working in Social Services for 2 years and just want to get some kind of qualification, even if its not accredited.

It's an interesting course and I'm enjoying it lots. It only costs about €400 so it's not a lot of money either. I'd recommend it.

It's also useful if you want to go on into Social Work (it will help you get into a Social Work conversion course like the one in UCD).

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

I too am interested in doing this course, mainly out of interest and something for the CV , would 10-16 hours a week be sufficient time to allow or is more required (obviously depends on person but average).

Did you complete it in the end Blobert , was it worth it or were you glad to see the end of it or both

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Would anyone have a website address for the International Foundation for Adult Education? I'm looking to find out more about their Distance Learning Social Studies course. I've tried Googling it but all I get is discussions on their courses.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I don't think they have one. Certainly never advertised if they have one

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

blobert wrote: »
    The IFAE have been around for more than 20 years, they have a pretty good reputation but the course is not accredited by anyone but themselves.
    This is the main problem, I think. They actually don't have a bad rep. at all, as several posters here have attested, but as a result of the accreditation issue recognition can be problematic and inconsistent ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Tayotot

Hi,;)

The IFAE phone number is ********* and they send out their information. I’m doing their course in Social Studies and I am going to Soweto for a year where I intend to reform myself into a human being. God help the Sowetans!
    I have to say that the IFAE did a lot to help me with the whole process. They probably inspired me but I think I would have done it anyway. I wouldn’t be concerned about the accreditation as I have a friend who works in personnel in a major corporation and his attitude is that courses or work experiences which are a bit different impress.
    Has anyone got any advice for me on Soweto , as time draws closer I am beginning to get a little nervous.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Out of curiosity what will you be doing in Soweto?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Tayotot

I will be involved in a community based programme for HIV prevention.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

I'm starting this course first week of november.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone else who
    may be doing the same course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Went to their website and submitted request for the information pack. Decided on email delivery as the deadline is looming. Unfortunately haven't heard from them yet. About a week. Surely it can't take them that long to send out information by email :confused:

My email was correct, I always double-check. Just in case somebody asks...

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

I also emailed them for information and a few days
    later i received the necessary info in the post.
    The deadline for admissions has been changed a few times in
    the last few weeks, maybe they had not got the response they were expecting.
    Anyhow you should give them a ring to see if they sent out the info.
    022-29358.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Thanks. Will ring them.

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Flo2

Hi All, I registered with IFAE for the social studies diploma in the spring this year. I have completed four modules to date. As I wish to take the examination in March 2010 I have to submit my fifth paper by mid-December. I find the studies challenging and interesting and I'm progressing well with my results to date. Also I'm putting my new found knowledge into practice in my community volunteering activities. Wishing you all well in your studies

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

How long has this college been around? I would be really dubious if they've been around for years and still aren't accredited by a recognised body!

The Sunday Tribune 3rd September 2006 edition featured an article on IFAE where they state that the international Foundation for Adult Aducation was founded in 1985.That the Foundation has been sussessful in guiding many students throughout europe towards university.The tutor assigned to my studies is very supportive and holds M.A.,Dip,H.B.Ed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

If they've been offering courses for 24 years and still haven't applied for/been approved for accreditation, i'd have nothing to do with them.

Just a general comment,of course all individuals have choices regarding their personal development and further education. Personally I have gained a great deal of knowledge and insight from the Diploma Course into my relationships with both family and colleagues, it has also helped me to understand social issues and how I relate to them in business.

It may be of interest to those who may be considering doing the Diploma Course to know that the examinations are supervised by an independent Governing Body, which also awards the Diploma. The Governing Body has a scheme for assessing the Institute's performance with academics from several countries. :)
    </SPAN>bbb</SPAN>bbb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Flo2 wrote: »
    It may be of interest to those who may be considering doing the Diploma Course to know that the examinations are supervised by an independent Governing Body, which also awards the Diploma. The Governing Body has a scheme for assessing the Institute's performance with academics from several countries.

But who does this body comprise of? What are their credentials?

All a bit too vague for my liking.

Relevant questions, perhaps IFAE alumni can supply answers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bountyseeker

The IFAE is a non-profit organisation and they say that it is a vision based organisation that is working for respect of diversity and coexistence. I was doing the IFAE Social Studies course originally with the help of the Jesuit university supports training (J.U.S.T.) in Finglas. They tutor adults to get back to university and half way through I was offered a place on a degree programme. I think the IFAE does a very good job if you want a foundation to a degree as it makes you look at yourself and tries to get the students to find a passion. It was good since I have too many passions!

Its good to learn that you found the IFAE diploma course of help and have gone on to study for a degree in social studies. What format did the IFAE examination take! I am currently at module seven and will take the examination later on this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bountyseeker

I know people got samples of the format and there are very long instructed essays, normal essays, given passages and a section with short questions like multiple choice. I had to defer it when I started college but the IFAE was very helpful and I will be allowed to finish it after my college exams in the summer.

Thank you for the feedback on the examination format, Wishing you well in your examinations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sandyj

hi
    i know this is an old thread but ive been trying to find out if i can defer my course with ifae or cancel it all together. wondered if anyone has done this and if you can get a refund. (only on first unit)
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Prince Madness

Hi Sandyj,
    Yea you can defer, I did and it was no trouble give them a ring they will arrange it for you, they are very helpful.

I successfully completed the one year academic study in Social Studies with IFAE and received my examination results in March 2011.I am very pleased with my results.Further I must say that the learning experience was great and made easy by positive supports from my assigned tutor who gave encouragement and positive evaluations of my work throughout the study period.The study material was designed to engage the student by invoking personal involvement in social issues. This approach to study stimulated inquiry into my everyday life and involvement in social activities in my community, it gave me an insight into the dynamics of communication, listening and interacting with others.I would recommend this study to anyone who is seeking to develop their understanding of society and community-family

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

But have they submitted the course and sought to have it placed on the National Qualifications Framework, either here or in the country in which they are head-quartered? (Holland, if I remember correctly)

This issue around accreditation / links to the NQF / recognition has always been the basic issue with this course. Many would attest to a positive learning experience.

Advertisement