Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are passwd files kept

Options
  • 25-04-2005 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭

Hey i have an account on my college network and i was wonderin where the passwd file for all the users are kept. The main accounts are kept in /etc/passwd but all the ordinary users are not.

Where else could these be kept.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

never mind i found it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Can I ask why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

Where else could these be kept.

In my left trouser pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

ah just a bit of research on how secure the the system was. not very as i found out to my supprise. id love to go and give the admin a smack in the head.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

ah just a bit of research on how secure the the system was. not very as i found out to my supprise. id love to go and give the admin a smack in the head.

And add physical abuse to a cracking charge? You're well on your way to a glittering college career :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

College Admins just love it when students give them helpful advice on how to run their network. :rolleyes:

Every user has read access to the passwd file on a UNIX system. Several versions of UNIX ago the actual passwords were taken out and put in hashed 'shadow' file. If you were going to attack the system you'd need to attack that file, which is encrypted, and you probably don't have access to. Have fun smacking that admin.

Advertisement