Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Watching DVD movies in SGA

• 24-04-2005 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I just purchased a Dell Latitude D600 with SGA display and am unable to play
    movies. After my fourth call to Dell the latest "advice" is that you need SXGA display to play movies. My SGA will not allow me to have a setting beyond
    1024x768.

The SXGA was not even an option for us on purchase time and a return would be a major hassle. The software they bundled with it is called "InterActual
    Player 2.0".

Would you know ANY way to play movies under my configuration? Any one else, or board, I could post this to? Any advice would be MUCH appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just use better player software. VLC (www.videolan.org) can most certainly play movies at 1024x768, and even 800x600...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Considering DVDs themselves have a resolution of only 720x576, there should be no reason why 1024x768 would not be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Newbie1

Thanks, VLC works like a charm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Newbie1 wrote:
    movies. After my fourth call to Dell the latest "advice" is that you need SXGA display to play movies.
    Well now here's the funny thing. SXGA as you know is 1280*1024. I've an old Dell Inspiron 7500 that is XGA (1024*768) (maybe it goes higher, haven't been near the settings since the last reinstall) and it plays DVDs just fine. As does my PC monitor, also set to 1024*768. As Stark said, DVDs have a resolution of 720*576. Which is why the minimum monitor for playing DVDs is 800*600 or SVGA (was once often displayed on the DVD cases).

So total bollocks on your fourth tech support call, which wouldn't fill me with confidence in the guy taking the calls.

Interactual player is rather crappy and outdated (and useless, did I mention that it was useless?). Used to (may still do) come for free on DVDs like the Matrix and Shrek. I would half expect there's some setting in Interactual itself that needs to be changed but I think you're better off continuing to use almost anything else that works (and VLC will do well for that).

No points for the phone tech guy(s) but MYOB gave you a good solution.

Advertisement