Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice changing motherboard

Options
  • 24-04-2005 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi all, I'm going to replace my motherboard and CPU. Is it just a matter of wipping the old ones out and installing the new ones and mother board drivers. Or will I have to reformat my hard drive? My OS is Win XP currently running on a P4 2.4 GHZ cpu.

Thanks in advanced

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

win xp will kick up a stink and ask to bev re-activated if you change too many bits of hardware, i think the motherboard can count as several bits of hardware depending on whats on board. in short you might be ok but back up everything anyhow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭DirtyHarry

well depends, you will have to reformat your HD yes, also u have to make sure all components will be compatible with the new mobo u get.

Other than that its a simple job!

what mobo and chip u going for? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Pmac3

I'm going for a P4 3.2GHZ and a Gigabite Sis648FX/963 FSB800 AGP8x 3*DDR400 ALC650 6*USB2.0

The reason for the change is my current Board is giving a bit if trouble. The on board lan has stoped working and some times it will refuse the boot up. Its all so refusing to increase the graphic win size above 256mb when my I have 768mb of DDR sdram installed. My Graphics card also has 256mb on board.

So I decided the hell with it and go for a new CPU as well.

Advertisement