Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

campus / rented

Options
  • 24-04-2005 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭

Whats the pros/cons of living on campus or living in a rented house? I wouldn't like to live in digs, so its either shelling 70 a week for campus or sharing a house with people. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

main one for me would be,
    campus you might not get to live with people you know, house you can choose who you live with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

campus is so much closer to all the events though and the SU bar etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

yeah if its near the su bar, theres less chance of me falling asleep in a ditch on my way home. (has happened, on occasion). If 3 or 4 of my friends sign up for campus, can I ask to get in with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

I too am curious of the pros and cons of both and whether you can ask to be put in with people you know?

cons, can;t throw any major **** off parties, it's miles from the bus stop/train if you go out in town a good bit... rent is quite high or used to be from what i remember...

pros you get to meet alot of people through living in the same block, plus foreign students generally stay on campus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

you can get to live with people you know on campus, you just have to put it down on your application form.
    new campus appartments .... ALL en-suite. big big big big bonus
    you pay 300 euro deposit for the apts which all your bills are taken out of. im now in a house and end up shelling out 150 every two months for bills...they all add up...cable, phone, refuse, oil, esb...
    yes you can throw parties in the apartments, just keep the windows closed so sound doesnt travel and invite the neighbours so they dont complain. worst case senario...security come over and look at you in a cross way and tell people to get out, whoopdee.
    all campus apartments have network access in every room

if you dont know who you're your gonna live with. dont do it. i could tell stories and they all end disasterously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

go on, tell some

if you dont know who you're your gonna live with. dont do it. i could tell stories and they all end disasterously.

me too we should compare sometime, mine involve a scary large large hairy german dude... who never went anywhere without a knife... and sometimes a bow and arrow(s)

No, story is that I've found 3 or 4 more friends who will probably share a house next year. Sorted. Sort of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Con9903 wrote:
    go on, tell some

nah.
    i dont want to think about it.
    my only comment is, if something serious happens on campus, dont just let security handle it. involve the guards as well. i am still kicking myself for not getting the law involved and getting some justice. security just want to keep things quiet, from my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

lordgoat wrote:
    main one for me would be,
    campus you might not get to live with people you know, house you can choose who you live with.

Not necessarily. That's only true if you and your friends manage to rent a whol house as one which is not that easy to do. And you can in fact ask to live with certain people on campus if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

The only downfall with campus accom is that you've a very slim chance of even getting it.

Im going into 1st year and I've allready sent away my application form. The lady on the phone told *me* that I've a great chance of getting it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Haha, they told me that every year for the last 4 years! And guess what, I didn't get on!!!! It's all randomised, so you've only as much chance as anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Im going into 1st year and I've allready sent away my application form. The lady on the phone told *me* that I've a great chance of getting it! ;)

You've a good enough chance as a first year though...

Also if you're a guy you have a better chance apparently. A guy I know has been in Campus the last 3 years and has it again for next year, he said they're looking for more guys this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Everyone who applied for campus going into 1st year got a place last year.

Advertisement