Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uh oh...

Options
  • 24-04-2005 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in the middle of merging two partitions in Partition Magic and it's frozen on me.. Nothing has happened in the past 10 minutes, it's stuck at the same percentages etc.

Neither partition show up in my computer.

Any suggestions as what I should do?

Please hurry :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

hmm doesn't sound very good. I take it you are outside windows at this stage? What percent has it done?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Outside windows? Partition Magic is Windows based though :confused: Like I'm browsing the net and typing this on the same system...

OHHH WAIT!!!

Shifting DATA just went up to 3%!!!!!!

wooo!!

I think it's ok so,

It's a 250GB HD so maybe thats why!

Let's just hope it goes ok from here!!
    Thanks

I thought it usually does its work outside windows. Well at least its moving ahead anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭SLIM19198

If its shifting a lot of data, it could take HOURS!!!

And Partition magic is also available as a DOS version which is IMHO faster!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Merging two partitions and using windows at the same time ?
    suppose there is no point asking if you have a backup.

• Advertisement

It's at 5 percent. Yup this is going to take forever!!! And it better do it how I want it done now after all this! I'll be back if there is any problems, be sure of it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

whatever you do DO NOT STOP IT! That would be the worst thing you could possibly do.

If you think it freezes again, give it an hour to move up a percent or two. Turning it off when it hasn't actually crashed would mean your partitions would be completely fecked.

I was so about to do that...Good job.. it's at 10% now so thats 43 minutes for 5% god.. were looking at another 14 hours or are my maths gone wonky?

Ok, well the drive is now one partition...

Unfortunately when it was at about 15%, my laptop did that crazy thing where it automatically turns off.

So I rebooted and it didn't continue or anything, so I formatted both partitions and then joined them that way. So now I have an empty 250GB drive. All data wiped!!

Fortunately, I bought an ICY BOX external HD for my 320GB HD yesterday and transferred all data onto that last night. Phew! So now I just have to transfer it all back. Which is probably going to be quicker than the other way. Scary stuff though.

I was also in a poker game when it switched off :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Had that problem myself. I was merging two partitions on my main PC, but there was a power cut when i was about 70% of the way through. Thankfully i had recent-ish backups, and only lost a few things, which i eventually managed to recover.

What i ask is why did you bother trying to merge partitions if you had all your data elsewhere? It would have been a hell of a lot easier to just format and repartition rather than merge. Still, thats what you ended up doing anyway :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

SLIM19198 wrote:
    If its shifting a lot of data, it could take HOURS!!!

And Partition magic is also available as a DOS version which is IMHO faster!

Yes!

it's included with Hiren's Boot CD

What i ask is why did you bother trying to merge partitions if you had all your data elsewhere? It would have been a hell of a lot easier to just format and repartition rather than merge. Still, thats what you ended up doing anyway :p

I didn't know it would take so long :o The 320G was partitioned too but had no files, when I merged the two together it only took a few minutes so I though merging the 250G partitions would too! I'm just so happy I backed it up to the 320G first. I've years of work on the drive!

CyberGhost wrote:
    Yes!

it's included with Hiren's Boot CD
    Hiren's Boot CD is sweet

Advertisement