Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Trial

Options
  • 24-04-2005 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

Just finished reading this book by Franz Kafka and tbh I'm still confused! Can somebody here tell me what exactly it was supposed to be about? Is it a literal story or is it meant to be metaphorical? I was getting all these 'deeper meanings' as I read it but when I looked read up on a few of those 'cliffs notes-esque' reviews scattered across the net they seemed to suggest that it was a merely a satire and nothing deeper.

Any opinions info gratefully recieved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Is it a literal story or is it meant to be metaphorical
    I think the genius is that you can take it both ways..

Not giving anything away, but read it as 'plain english' its a story about what can and did happen in communist countries..

But there are massive 'read between the lines' moments. They are maybe not as clear as, say, animal farm, but its there :)

Just my 2 cents :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭almostagassi

I gave up reading the Trial, i dont want it ruined for everyone else, but what happens at the end. did he stop having to go to court or end up in jail or was there some revelation.

it seems like the emperor's new clothes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭ExOffender

Like On The Road, this is one that I've tried and failed to read several times. Just too dull. Someday I'll read it. Not OTR, though. Just don't like Kerouac.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissRibena

I haven't read The Trial but I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about Metamorphosis. I know the themes and Kafka's treatment of them were ground-breakingly new at the time of publication but I really felt like shouting "so-what?" at it. Other 20th century works of literature were innovative (e.g. Orwell, Steinbeck) but stood the test of time far better IMHO.

Mabye The Trial is superior and I should give it a whirl to give Kafka a fair crack of the whip. Or would it be more of the same?

Rebecca

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I also started reading it. Started 2 months ago and haven't picked it up since. Not exactly a page-turner though someday I'll read it.... probably...maybe... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

ah lads, its not like its 1000 pages long in fairness :)

Advertisement