Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does MSI K8N Neo Platinium support NCQ HD's

Options
  • 24-04-2005 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

I have oredered a new hard drive a maxtor diomandmax 250gb with 16mb cache but I forgot to check if my motherboard (MSI K8N Neo Platinium) supports NCQ, does anyone know if it does iv'e been googleing for ages and can't seen to find anything that says if it does or not. Does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

If it has an NF4 ultra chipset, then yes, the 4 native Sata 300 ports support NCQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

it dosn't matter if it doesn't. you will still be able to use the hd, just with out ncq. ncq at the moment doesn't really improve performance anyway but it will when we get dual core cpus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

NCQ is designed for RAID setups...so no RAID no change.

Stop worrying about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

ncq is not for raid setups, at least i dont think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

vishal wrote:
    ncq is not for raid setups, at least i dont think so.
    You're right, its not just for raid setups. It will help any drive access. The benfits might be more noticeable in raid setups, only benchmarks would be able to tell. But NCQ will help both raid and non-raid setups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

there is also compatability issues with those drives and MSI motherboards, read the MSI forums about it. At the very least you will need to be using the latest motherboard Bios that has nvraid bios 4.81.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'm a seagate drive with NCQ, I've no idea if it's actually using the NCQ or not but the drive works fine. I saw benchmarks somewhere recently that showed that NCQ made little to no difference for regular (single cpu/no raid) usage.

edit: I think I'm on the 1.3 bios

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Cheers for the feedback fingers crossed, feel free to add any futher information.

Richy

Advertisement