Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard-drive for Laptop... will any one work?!

Options
  • 23-04-2005 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭

Fairly simple question here!

I've got a laptop with 1 hard drive with only about 20GB free and want to get an extra drive to move some of the crap off the existing onto!

Will any internal hard-drive work.. i presume you have to take into account the dimensions etc? Or would it be easier to just invest in an external?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

not too sure tbh I'm fairly sure you can use any hard drive (but as always im open to correction on this one)

either way, id say you would be better off investing in an external hard drive for extra portability, functionality

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cheers for that Raptor.

It's one question that's always stumped me! I see a slot for an internal hard-drive at the base of the laptop... might open it and check if any dimensions are quoted inside but most of the internal drives designed for laptops seem to be of pretty weak capacity.

For example.. news last week said that Seagate are to begin shipping an 120GB hard drive. Which would be the largest on the market today. See here: http://www.betanews.com/article/120GB_Laptop_Hard_Drive_Coming/1113844793

Think a 300GB External Hard Drive from Komplett would be my best bet!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

No all work:mad:

Ya thats the b*tch factor. Not all HDD's work tried fitting an oldish one to a Dell and no go - check the compatibility from both ends.
    basquille wrote:

It's one question that's always stumped me! I see a slot for an internal hard-drive at the base of the laptop... might open it and check if any dimensions are quoted inside but most of the internal drives designed for laptops seem to be of pretty weak capacity.

Two HDDS's in a lappie?? Sure thats for the RAM? Or is the actually HDD accecable from the underneath. Odd? Could be miles off but check none the less

Nukem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Mr T

Hi

There are 2 form factors for notebook HDDs the newer drives are 9.5mm in height the older drives I think are 17mm. Thats the first thing. All 2.5" drives have a 50 pin IDE interface most manufacturers of PCs use an interposer card to adapt the HDD interface but this can eaily be switched from one drive to another.

You can also get an adaptor to connect a 2.5" HDD to a PCs interface cable.

That may be another avenue for you.

Advertisement