Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ECC -v- non-ECC :: Whats the difference?

Options
  • 23-04-2005 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering; is there much bad stuff about non-ECC, compared to ECC? I'm thinking of getting some non-ECC ram for my machine, which would be mainly used for games. To my knowledge, ECC ram is only for critical systems where there's alot of swapping done, and errors are a big no-no, but for a home gaming system, would it make much of a difference? Or would games crash alot with non-ECC, compared to ECC?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

ECC is error correcting RAM. It's used in mission critical systems (as you said) and uses an extra bit to verify that data was written successfully / read successfully. It costs more and is slower than normal ram. You (IMO) definitely shouldn't get it for a home gaming system. You can't mix ECC and non-ECC.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Khannie wrote:
    You can't mix ECC and non-ECC.
    Are you sure? Someone told me that for my system (I've a Dell Deminsion 8200 with 4 memory slots), I could mix ECC and non-ECC (once its 2*ECC & 2*non-ECC, and not 3*ECC & 1*non-ECC, or vice versa), but that the ECC would become non-ECC if it were mixed with non-ECC.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

the_syco wrote:
    but that the EEC would become non-EEC if it were mixed with non-EEC.

Sounds plausible, though why you'd want to do that is beyond me.

My understanding though is that they can't be mixed.

And it's ECC not EEC. :)

Khannie wrote:

And it's ECC not EEC. :)
    :o Ooopsy. Slight type-o. I'll try it anyhoo's. Buying it from someone here, so I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

You can mix ECC and non-ECC - the side-effect is the ECC will be disabled.
    I have mixed ECC and non-ECC RDRAM on a DELL Dimension 8100 and it's fine :)

But the RDRAM that works with the 8100 would work with the "8200 - (400FSB only!)" Perhaps that was when Dell stopped using Rambus.

causal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Read this article on Registered Vs. Unbuffered Vs. ECC memory.

It'll answer all your queries.

causal wrote:
    You can mix ECC and non-ECC - the side-effect is the ECC will be disabled.
    I have mixed ECC and non-ECC RDRAM on a DELL Dimension 8100 and it's fine :)

But the RDRAM that works with the 8100 would work with the "8200 - (400FSB only!)" Perhaps that was when Dell stopped using Rambus.

causal
    It works nicely. Thanks for the info.

Advertisement