Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MP3's saved Artist or Album

Options
  • 23-04-2005 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭

Just about to rip some cds to add to my mp3 collection before moving some onto my new little zen micro

thing i noticed is

most of my mp3's have been saved in artist folders, and album sub folders
    but quite a number are saved under the album name in My Music .

For example there is an Annie Lennox Folder with a "Bare" subfolder, but then further down there is the "Diva" album by itself.

Is there a reason for this, and/or does it make any difference.

I've used musicmatch, and winamp mainly, though also creatives MediaSOurces

any suggestions on ONE program to use are welcome too.

Finally, sorry if in wrong forum, could not see any other more suitably named

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

any suggestions on ONE program to use are welcome too.
    www.dbpoweramp.com with the LAME encoder (included)

or anything else with LAME.

I'm obviously assuming you're ripping to mp3 but I'd recommend the app regardless.

As for the reason your albums are all over the place and not very neatly organised, I suspect you used a different app for each of the Annie Lennox CDs and each program has its own settings which you haven't changed. most good rippers will allow you both to specify where you want them saved and how you want them saved (folder name format, ID3 tags, filename format). Inconsistency, as you've noticed, manages to plain wreck everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

the order of the folders shouldn't matter as long as the id3 tags are written correctly.

load a few of the mp3s up in winamp, right click on them in the playlist editor and choose view file info.
    if the artist, track, album and title fields are all correct, it'll display on your zen perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

yea the artist, album track no etc are all showing correctly

thanks for the answers
    weekend of mp3 fun lies ahead.

Probably silly question

I am ripping now with WinAmp
    but in mp4 aac format
    will my new zen micro play them ? (haven't opened the box yet etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

Probably silly question

I am ripping now with WinAmp
    but in mp4 aac format
    will my new zen micro play them ? (haven't opened the box yet etc)

nope, mp4 & aac(awful format) are itunes/ipod compatible only

• Advertisement

curses!

thanks
    so I gotta do them over, grrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

herobear...

You said aac is awful?
    Is this honestly the case?

My entire collection is mp3, I think a few ogg albums, and the bit rate would be a combo of 128 and 192, all the recent stuff being 192. Lame encoded obviously.

Now I know a few folk who've gotten Ipods recently and they go on about how aac is better quality at lower bitrates than mp3. Now these are obviously members of the "iPod generation" who really haven't a clue what they're talking about, but before I destroy their spirit and arrogance I obviously need to do a bit of checking up...

So any input into this would be great ;)

Advertisement