Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Publishing a book

Options
  • 22-04-2005 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

HI all, I hope this is the right forum to post this on. I'm in the early stages of planning a non-fiction book. A "How to..." if you like. I have experience in editing but I am wondering if anyone has any experience publishing a book.
    My questions:
    1. Is it better to go with a publisher or try and publish it yourself?
    2. What are the estimated costs for publishing on the Irish market?
    3. If its self-published, would Easons or another distributor pick it up?
    4. Any other advice you have would be much appreciated.

There is definitely a market for this book, and there's worthy people behind it. I just need to know where to start.
    Any advice will be welcome!
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Self Publishing is not a good route for financial success, best off picking up a copy of The Writer's Handbook 2005, or similar from amazon. That will be a good place to start, will give you the addresses of plenty of publishers to help get you started.

Non-fiction books are a different kettle of fish to get published versus fiction. Depending on the area, you might have legal, and refferal problems. But definitely should send out a few query letters to a few publishers to get yourself started.

Advertisement