Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.223 License

Options
  • 22-04-2005 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi, I have a .22 mag at the moment and I'm thinking about getting somthing with a bit more clout for shooting fox a bit further off. I was intent on getting a hornet but was told a.223 is much better for the job and that I would have no problem getting a license for it because it will come under the same lisence as a hornet or swift. I was always led to believe anything over .22 needed a different license. If anyone can clear this up for me id appreciate it. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

This has changed since last Autumn. 223 rifles and ammunition are in stock in most gunshops. This has incidentally led to a collapse in sales of .22 hornet rifles, which have become very difficult to sell on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Bulls_Eye

I'm glad I didnt get a hornet now. Thanks a lot. If I do buy a .223 will I have to sell my .22 magnum? I'm kind of fond of it. I dunno where the law stands on owning two rifles, but i know lots of guys with both rifles and shotguns and the have no problem, but I know of nobody who has two rifles.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You do now. :D
    There's no legal limit on how many firearms an individual can own.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

I'm in the same boat. I've a .22lr and thinking of getting a centrefire rifle and the .223 looks very attractive due to the ammo price, €9.50 for 20 I think I saw some Remington ammo for the other day.
    Being a student the ammo price is a big factor, I would'nt mind going for a larger calibre but I don't think I would be able to afford to shoot it as much as I would like.
    I was looking online and saw the Savage Model 12BVSS in .223 Rem at around $600. Does anyone know if they can be got here and if so at what price? What other rifles would be worth a look for around the €600-700 mark.

Thanks

Thats great news, thanks Sparks:D

• Advertisement

Im not sure but I was pricing a .223 and I was told it would be around 1300euro for a remington 700 .223. On their web site the rrp was around $700 so I'd presume a savage .223 will be a lot more here than in the U.S. I'd say 600 euro is a bit of wishful thinking. Sorry to rain on your parade. But maybe im wrong, I hope I am because I'm on a bit of a budget myself.

Savage rifles never had a particularly strong presence in Ireland, particularly in centrefire calibres. Millards are the importers (or at least were when I last looked), so your local dealer should be able to enquire off them what's available.

The big seller currently in 223 is the CZ527, the same rifle was also extremely popular in 22 Hornet in the past. Several variants are made ( varmint barrels etc) but I'm not sure what's available here presently other than the standard version.

A brand I have a lot of time for is Tikka (own one in 243). They make their T3 in .223 , again in several versions, which would be well worth looking into.

With the current dollar exchange rate, Ruger or Remington may also have rifles in your price range.

If what you want isn't available in Ireland, give some British delaers a call. 223 is very common over there, and you might pick up a second-hand bargain. York Guns or Sportsman Gun Centre have regular special offers listed in the UK shooting magazines that may also be of interest.

Thanks guys, some great info. I've heard some really good things about the Remington 700, in fact I think I was given one to look at the last time I was down the shop. It had black synthetic stock, bolt action, definetly a Remington in .223 anyway. I think he said €900 for it, I could be wrong as to it being a Rem 700 though.
    The Tikka T3 looks good too, I guess I'll just have to go see what's avaliable and what they cost before making any decisions.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

You might have to get him in a little closer for this flashlight :D
    XR_15_Tactical_Stealth.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Macnas, if you need that for foxes, you might want to consider giving up and moving house! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gun-ner

Just bought a cz527 remington 223 paid €1100. I was shooting a hornet for about 2 years, good gun. But the 223 is a very accurate and humane gun for foxs, charlie goes down and stays down.As regards ammo I use remington 50 grain and I am paying €20 a box, if any-one out there knows where I can get cheaper ammo please late me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

Dem Foxes won't get me, I got me a bunker!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭gouda

gun-ner wrote:
    Just bought a cz527 remington 223 paid €1100. I was shooting a hornet for about 2 years, good gun. But the 223 is a very accurate and humane gun for foxs, charlie goes down and stays down.As regards ammo I use remington 50 grain and I am paying €20 a box, if any-one out there knows where I can get cheaper ammo please late me know.
    €1100 seems a lot to pay. Was there anything else with the rifle, scope,bipod etc. or was that the price of the gun on it's own?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

i was talking to a gun dealer lately and .223 sales have risen a lot in the past 6 months nad that a lot of people were trading in their hornet or swift for them.

what kinda range would u get from a .223??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Longslide45

macnas wrote:
    You might have to get him in a little closer for this flashlight :D

Now THATS a classy Fox shooter. :D:D Has anyone got one like that here???If so pleassseeee contact me!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

Don't have one yet. When I was getting my glock licence sorted out I told my local Gardai that I would be back soon with an application for an AR-15. He said and I quote "Over my F**kin dead body" :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭allnight_2002

Now THATS a classy Fox shooter. :D:D Has anyone got one like that here???If so pleassseeee contact me!!!

As Longslide45 stated If anybody out there has one of these Please please please please please
    please please please please please please please please please can I go out shooting with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Longslide45

packas wrote:
    Don't have one yet. When I was getting my glock licence sorted out I told my local Gardai that I would be back soon with an application for an AR-15. He said and I quote "Over my F**kin dead body" :D:D

Ah! Never mention the dreaded AR part.Call it by the makers name like Sabre Defence 15 orSouthern armoury 15,or whatever ;) .They still see the AR15 as the dreaded "Black Rifle"of 20 years ago.Showing them a pic of one with a thmbhole stock,de horned of carry grip[no great loss anyway] and front sight in a target model .22 seems to placate nervvy Garda firearms officers.At least to the point that they are "considering it". in my case. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭bernard93

Longslide45,

got mine already!!

can figure out how to post a bloody photo so i can show you my two ar rifles, so i have included two links so you can see something along the same lines as to what i have!

http://www.radomski.us/njhp/ar10/myers/rifle.htm

(ar 10 in 6.5x08)

http://www.compasslake.com/space.htm

(22 rim fire semi auto space gun!!)

• Advertisement

OK so went in and got a few prices on a .223 today.

Tikka T3 Lite €870
    CZ 527 €725
    Remington 700 €850
    Sabatti €750

Could anyone recommend one of these over the others, or not recommend as the case may be? At the moment I have to say i'm leaning towards the Tikka or the CZ.

P.S. Got a few prices on the ammo too, between €9.50 and €22 for 20,depending on the maker and type be it soft nose or FMJ.

Cheers.

E@gle. wrote:
    i was talking to a gun dealer lately and .223 sales have risen a lot in the past 6 months nad that a lot of people were trading in their hornet or swift for them.

what kinda range would u get from a .223??

About 9 inch fall to 300 yards with a 3inch group. I do alot of fox shooting, with most shots about 150 to 200 yards, easy shooting with this gun.

Got the bipod and 2 boxs of bullets, but it does not matter, knowing now about the gun, and what it can do, its the right gun for me. I am so happy with it I would pay duoble the money.

P.S
    Just saw the thread for the cz 527 €750 :eek: , narly cryed, only joking, hope it has not got a gray stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 1911

pauln wrote:
    OK so went in and got a few prices on a .223 today.

Tikka T3 Lite €870
    CZ 527 €725
    Remington 700 €850
    Sabatti €750

P.S. Got a few prices on the ammo too, between €9.50 and €22 for 20,depending on the maker and type be it soft nose or FMJ.

Cheers.

The Remington 700,FMJ ammo should 7 euro a box eg 35 euro per 100

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Advertisement