Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you rate Acer?

Options
  • 22-04-2005 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭

Well what do you think are they worth the money.
    What I have seen of them, they work well, a bit heavy though.

I was thinking of getting one. The Acer 2702 Wireless laptop in fact. Cost 899euros.
    Spec available here
    http://computing.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/ps_12140655/113501.html

Any Views
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Hi,
    I have an Acer Travelmate2000 that cost me 900euros inc vat. It is probably the heaviest laptop I have used. You need a 3rd shoulder to carry it in the bag.
    Battery is terrible too, 45mins if your lucky even tho it says diff./
    Friend has same as mine, also same complaint on battery and his screen has gone funny too. Both are less than 9 months old. Hes about to claim warranty.
    All said Id avoid if I had the chance. Will dump this one as soon as its written off the books.
    BUT. On the table theyre ok, sound is good, screen is nice, 2.6ghz processor ,so its fast enough.
    Its a matter of experience and so on. No serial port, useless USB sockets, had to get a pcmcia-rs232 adapter also.

Have fun. Get a HP? Might be better??

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

See model and spec in my signature, Would definitely buy an Acer again, think there the best bang for buck laptop around at the min, and if you’ll have a look here you find that it looks good and weights nothing as well, when it was new, battery life was close to 6hrs. I can’t really say enough good things about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭lau1247

i'm not too sure about the 2000 model..
    I have experience with higher spec acer model

Personally i think the travelmate 8000 series is pretty cool..

I have an acer ferrari 3400
    My other two cousin is using a ferrari 3200 and 3000..
    No problem with it..

It is looking very slick indeed..
    Very well equiped too..

The only downside is the sound..
    The speakers can't handle high pitch sound (treble)

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭stevenup7002

Ok, I'm buying an acer travelmate c302XMi off elara.ie, I've gotten gr8 reviews from friends across the globe! they were better than dell and iqon anyway, don't buy an iqon! they're a terrible company :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭lau1247

The likes of iqon, advent, e machines in particular is not that good..

The reasonable ones are sony and acer in my opinion..
    Dell's laptop is a little bulky.. Apart from the new one they have..

Sony is not the best for value but they have great screen (x-black) and design is usually very very cool..
    Acer is nice with design and their conectivity component with higher priced laptop is just there.. handy

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

telecinesk wrote:
    Hi,
    I have an Acer Travelmate2000 that cost me 900euros inc vat. It is probably the heaviest laptop I have used. You need a 3rd shoulder to carry it in the bag.
    Battery is terrible too, 45mins if your lucky even tho it says diff./
    Friend has same as mine, also same complaint on battery and his screen has gone funny too. Both are less than 9 months old. Hes about to claim warranty.
    All said Id avoid if I had the chance. Will dump this one as soon as its written off the books.
    BUT. On the table theyre ok, sound is good, screen is nice, 2.6ghz processor ,so its fast enough.
    Its a matter of experience and so on. No serial port, useless USB sockets, had to get a pcmcia-rs232 adapter also.

Have fun. Get a HP? Might be better??

what did u expect when u bought a desktop processor in a laptop. acer are fine, if u go with the centrino. 5.5 hour battery life.......http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/hardware/notebooksandtablets/productView.htm?quicklinx=3JTN&mc=6

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I've got a Travelmate 4500. Centrino-based, with a Radeon 9700 inside. Light (2.9kg). Fast (even for most games, if you can live with low/med graphics on the heaviest stuff like Doom3). Great battery life. Doesn't get too hot to work with on your lap (by my definition of too hot).

The only issues I have with it are :

- The screen on this particular model isn't great. I've seen newer models, though, and they're fab.
    - The form-factor of this - and a lot of the travelmates - means that even though its a 15" monitor, it won't fit in almost any bag or backpack designed for 15" or 15.4" notebooks. You'll most likely need one for a 17".
    - The exterior is prone to scuffing.
    - The on-board speakers are tinny...quelle surprise.

These are all small niggles - they wouldn't make me choose differently had I known them in advance.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭stevenup7002

ok, I'm gonna write a review of acer when I get it hopefully tomorrow! the acer is out on delivery from dublin so it should be delivered to the south east by tomorrow! :D thank you elara.ie!

EDIT: Yep still waiting since yesterday :eek:

Advertisement