Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs of Importing computer components

Options
  • 22-04-2005 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭

I was looking at some of the links for cheap computer components and I figure I could save around €70 if I order form the US. In total, the goods (cpu, graphics card and memory) would cost about €450, but if I have to pay another €100 excise and duty it’s hardly worth it. Looked on the revenue website but cant find the appropriate section. Anyone have advice/experience regarding this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you import hardware from outside the EU you can end up paying duty on it based on its value as declared on the customs thingy.

Unless the saving is significant the duty will negate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

From past experience I can honestly say order from within the eu.
    I wholeheartedly recommend www.jes.de cheapest around.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Highlander

Computer Parts are 0% rated for customs duty, you would though have to pay customs vat at 21%

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

thanks, i'm looking at that german site now.

If thats its the case of having to pay 21% of the goods value, I cant understand why people suggest ordering from outside Europe. Unless you buy big its not going to save you anything.

Thanks guys

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It used to be worth it because they hardly ever bothered checking. Now the chances seem pretty good that you'll end up having to pay, so for most things it's not really worth it any more.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Importing from the US is not easy, alot of US websites are clued to up people from abroad trying to get things imported...i've seeen websites clearly state that they will declare the full and real vaule of items on the customs declaration. As a result anything over $70-80 will be liable for 21% VAT.

Problem is the SENDER is liable not the recipient if things get hairy, they won't take the risk. Alot of websites just won't delivery outside the US.

So whatever you do you gotta weight up the pros and cons, can i get warranty and support?...if it's DOA what do i do?, etc.

It's a shame that Ireland is the most expensive for PC parts compared to the rest of Europe...scandal in fact.

-oRnein9- recommended this site www.jes.de and its pretty good. For example: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2.0GHz Socket 754, 512KB, BOXED w/fan worked out as €114 (141 inc p+p) as opposed to €147 (€157 inc p+p) with komplett.
    However, i found something even better...http://www.comtech.de

It seems to be a sister site to www.jes.de (it's also a german site and has a very simular layout. It offers exactly the same products with the same stocking quantities etc.) but it is much cheaper; the same chip (AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2.0GHz Socket 754, 512KB, BOXED w/fan) which was €114 (€141) with jes.de and €147 (157) komplett is only €106 (€132 p+p) with this site. And that saving between jes.de vs www.comtech.de is across the board, for all products.

:::::EDIT::::::
    Just realised the chips from the german sites are not boxed (komplett's are). Not sure if that means it is refurbished or returned. still a good price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Holy **** that site is Jes with like a couple of euro knocked off everything. Must have been created by the same web designer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It's a shame that Ireland is the most expensive for PC parts compared to the rest of Europe...scandal in fact.

We pay more for everything yet suffer third world infrastructure. You should be used to it by now ;)

If you know someone over there that can buy the parts and repackage them for you without marking a value on it then there's a good chance it will get through. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

BloodBath

Thanks for all the replies!

I've given up the idea of ordering from america. In the end it would work out as being too expensive - (unless I knew someone over there, which i dont). I've been doing a bit more research and it looks like Komplett is about the cheapest option after you factor in delivery costs etc. Oh well, no super savings after all :'(

• Advertisement
Advertisement