Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do I need to get .45 Ammo from North?

Options
  • 21-04-2005 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all,

Almost out of my stock of .45. I brought my original qty in with my pistol. How do I go about getting it now? Can I just use a section 7 and go collect it, my super has signed off one for me or do I need an DOJ importation licence, or anything else as well?

Also does anyone know what kind of prices should I be paying, where is the best value?

Backsight

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

I applied to DOJ 2 weeks ago for 500 rounds of 40S&W. They informed me to use the following form:-

http://www.justice.ie/80256E01003A21A5/vWeb/flJUSQ67MMTS-ga/$File/ResidentAmmunition.pdf

Also include your article 7. They asked for mine !

I'm due my import permit from DOJ next week. I presume it will be in the form of an Article 11 type permit.

Also it may be worth noting:-
    I've a copy of a letter frm DOJ where they state that you don't need their input if you have an article 7 from the super for your pistol & ammo. Try telling the gun dealers in the north though. They still insist on DOJ input. It baffles me. So much for a harmonised Europe, EU directives & fair trade and all that stuff !!!

I'm thinking of applying for a second pistol licence. I currenlty have a Glock. Now I'm looking for a S&W 686 in 357 mag/ 38sp. Anyone else out there with two pistol licences?

Just for a laugh I said to my local Garda that I will be looking for an AR 15 licence :eek: soon seeing as there's nothing in Firearms law about semi auto centre fore rifles. Don't think he saw the funny side of it though :D:D

Also thinking of a .22lr conversion kit for the glock. I can buy one from USA and get it posted but would it be legal? My first guess would be know? Can anyone confirm it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I thought there were a few AR15s in the country (legally that is :D ) already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭bernard93

Sparks,

Unfortunately all centre fire ar15 type rifles in Ireland at the moment are all manually operated i.e. the gas system is removed and a charging handle is bolted onto the side of the bolt.

I spoke to the garda who deals with firearms at my local station and the superintendent in relation to getting a semi auto ar15 and was told that under no uncertain terms I would not get one! :mad:

The way around it would be to get semi auto rim rifle set up and add a .17 Hornady Rimfire magnum barrel with a 1 in 16 twist which will get you out to 300 yards at a push..

The only downside would be the ammo price as you can’t reload it and it a lot more expensive that .22 rimfire!

Still be a lot o fun though :p

bernard

Oh well. But at least you could still take part in, well, pretty much all the AR-15 target shooting competitions with that kind of manual AR-15. (And if it's possible to shoot a perfect card at 25 yards in 90 seconds with a .22 single-shot rifle, it's got to be possible to shoot one a bit faster if it's a straight-pull, magazine-fed rifle, no?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Hint: .45 ammo, North.

There's another thread dealing with AR-15s..

• Advertisement

Gah. That's what I get for having several windows open at once. Sorry folks!

Advertisement