Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital test in South Cork

Options
  • 21-04-2005 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

South Coast are currently testing their new digital system off of main Carrigaline transmitter. I have been told results look good. With a bit of luck it might start in September after all!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

Is it on UHF or 12 GHz ?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

12 ghz i'm afraid, UHF DTT down here would really be news!

Do any of the deflectors plan on using UHF DTT ?

What exactly will 12 GHz MMDS offer that $ky doesnt ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Not allowed to, there's only one national DTT multiplex operators' licence and while the licence is issued by Comreg, they can only grant it to whoever the Minister for Communications decides.

These 12Ghz services would be licenced as MMDS services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

icdg wrote:

These 12Ghz services would be licenced as MMDS services.

:confused: I might be wrong, but weren't the deflectors all against MMDS to start with? They used to call it a Mickey Mouse Distribution System? Couldn't work in Ireland, will fry your brains etc, etc????????!!!!!!

If 2Gigs is that dangerous you wouldn't want to be next to a 12 Gigs terrestrial transmitter!!

• Advertisement

Not allowed to, there's only one national DTT multiplex operators' licence .
    I thought there were six multiplexes ? Do they all HAVE to be awarded to the same outfit and how does this fit in with EU competition law ?
    and while the licence is issued by Comreg, they can only grant it to whoever the Minister for Communications decides.
    Have they learned NOTHING from the dodgy-payments-to-Ray-Burke affair Surely it would be up to the BCI to award it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The licences that the deflector groups use were issued as a result of political lobbying and the fear that the government would lose votes.

In reality, the deflector system is a bankrupt idea with no future. Few of the community actually pay or pay and time and the receive a sub standard signal. The continued existence of licenced deflectors has, in my opinion, contributed to holding back the development of digital TV in Ireland. While this stop-gap sysytem continues there is no impetus to develop a digital alternative.

Being a "licenced" deflector does not necessary mean that you will automatically transfer to a digital. It would require the operators to create a new business model, investment in new equipment, marketing, the ability to negotiate with TV channels for carriage. I doubt if any of the current deflector operators - with the exception of SCTV - would have the experience or the capital to do this.

In reality, the deflector system is a bankrupt idea with no future.
    As opposed to say MMDS ? :rolleyes:
    The continued existence of licenced deflectors has, in my opinion, contributed to holding back the development of digital TV in Ireland.
    No the incompetence of the Government and regulatory bodies is solely responsible for holding back the development of DTT in Ireland
    While this stop-gap sysytem continues there is no impetus to develop a digital alternative.
    On the contrary the existance of deflectors has created a market for multichannel TV outside of the large urban centres

Being a "licenced" deflector does not necessary mean that you will automatically transfer to a digital.
    Being a lcenced deflector doesnt necessairly mean you will do anything but it does make it more likely
    It would require the operators to create a new business model, investment in new equipment, marketing, the ability to negotiate with TV channels for carriage. I doubt if any of the current deflector operators - with the exception of SCTV - would have the experience or the capital to do this.
    Time will tell but in the absence of a proper DTT service the deflectors are about all that keeps the West and South of Ireland from turning into "the valley of the clueless"

Advertisement