Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which course

Options
  • 21-04-2005 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

hey i was thinking of transferring to DCU and was thinking of doin information systems or Multimedia..

anyone do any of these courses or know what one will be better for jobs/fun etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

DC331 - Clown Performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭gungo

In 3rd year in CA would've loved 2 have done multimedia- CA will drain the creative juices right out of ya!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

ye was thinking that.. i heard multimedia was a bit of a messers course though.. 13 hours a week? ill prob do it cause they dont have any exams just projects which i prefere.. cant study never have never will :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

multimedia have loads of projects and assignments to do which require research so thats why they only have 13 hours a week

unlike science students who have loadsa projects and assignments to hand in that require loadsa research and we only have 30 hours a week. quite fair if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

if your doing Multimedia, you get out what you put in. Because there's a lot of group work, you can probably get away with dossing through it, but that wont work when you're on Intra (work placement) or doing your final yr project. First yr is a doss though.

13 hours a week? u try learning all the multimedia applications by just attending lectures (some of which are useful, others are sh1t). You certainly need more than 13 hours a week,but that's up to yourself i guess.

Yeah, the lack of exams is great, but i lived with 3 science people last yr and they certainly had more time for going out etc than Multimedia students cos their assignments were smaller - only worth 20/30% of each module (and they could cram for exams at the end).

Most of our assignments are worth 60-100% and would take 3/4+ weeks of work for a group of 3/4 people. Of course there are some of the assignments that you can get away with spending less time on, but if you do that, they'll just end up looking like sh1t so you've gained nothing.

for the last weeks of semester in both 2nd and 3rd yr you will work your ass off all day everyday (and sometimes all night!) and thats not to mention your final project in 4th yr which is worth 50% of the entire degree.

its not the kinda course where you just aim to pass the modules and graduate, cos a degree qualification aint what people are looking for in the industry.

If you want to work in the industry, employers are looking for people with a good aptitude and understanding of Multimedia applications and just a general know-how, rather than"lets employ him because he has a 'B.Sc' before his name"

Therefore, its in your own interest to do the work and build up a good portfolio of stuff -- from audio to video,2D and 3D graphics, CD/DVD-ROMs and flash content.

Remember...all I'm offering you is the truth : nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 mias

Hey, does anyone know if Multimedia in DCU is any good? Is it broad or completely focused on one thing? If anyone is doin the course, kud they tell me anything bout it? is it a dead end course, kus on the past graduates section of the dcu website, not many past grads seem to have job in multimedia at all! is there a job at the end of it? also is the placement any good? What kind of work is it? is there any way of gettin into film production/direction? Or radio production, or sumtin like that? PLease, any hlep would be mush appreciated!

Advertisement