Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The La's

• 21-04-2005 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

just got my ticket for "The La's" at the Ambassador. Anyone else heading? E27.50 plus usual charges....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The La's have reformed? And I wasn't informed? How did this happen? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭shano

Sleepy wrote:
    The La's have reformed? And I wasn't informed? How did this happen? :eek:

you was sleepin!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4380247.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

shano wrote:

He certainly was sleeping, what more would you expect from Sleepy but it looks like you've been sleeping too 14 posts and joined since Sep 2003!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Who's in the reformed line-up? I'm pretty sure it's John Power any ideas on the other two? Chris sharrock??

Yeah the 2 boys Mavers and Power but thats its the others are Jay Lewis and Nick Miniski!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

These reunions are getting silly. The Las released one album, what, 15 years ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Yes, but it was a classic and recording the followup nearly drove Mavers mad. Q magazine ran a great article detailing their experiences in the studio, recording on 60's analog gear to try and get the sound he wanted.

There was apparently some great stuff on those tapes. Wonder will they get revisited now or will they try and pretend the whole debacle never happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Wonder will they get revisited now

If they don't it will be a pretty short gig.
    recording on 60's analog gear to try and get the sound he wanted.

It was the same with the album they actually released. The record company got pissed off with them scrapping and re-recording it continually, so the version that got released was without Mavers' approval. Apparently he doesn't like it.

Someone who worked on those sessions told me that he was obsessed with 'I can't explain' by the Who and wanted the record to sound exactly like it. Even matching d/b reads and EQs against the who record to give it the 'magic' sound. Loony TBH.

presume some of the cast stuff will be played too but ya never know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 D'associashun

The La's weren't that great. There were about 4 decent songs on their album. The rest was crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

It's funny but quite poignant seeing how dedicated/round the twist Mavers got. Going round different studios, even using a walkman to record stuff at one stage and trying to find an original '60's mixing desk with 'original '60's dust on it'.The man smoked a serious amount as well which screwed with his head after ounces and ounces of the stuff and problems with heroin. The album is a classic, if you read the lyrics they are on a par with the best in rock. I think it's more than just 'another' reunion.

has anyone found any reviews of recent La's gigs on the web? any set lists? cheers

Don't think they've played any yet, first gig back Monday night in Cork (I may be wrong)

Well The La's played for approx 59min - no talkin at all so just back to back tunes. It was an alright gig but not a classic. Lee Mavers looks every bit the washed up heroin addict he is. John Power was fantastic though. "Timeless Melody" and "Looking Glass" were top notch and the playing overall was very good. "There she goes" was poorly delivered but you can imagine how much they hate that song at this stage considering we're all pretty tired of it! Another beautiful song was "Over" which I've been humming in my head since last night. I see they're down to play oxegen on the Sunday so catch them then if you missed them last night.

I saw them in Cork the night before, really enjoyed it, thought they sounded great. Worth going alone for Looking Glass, one of the greatest songs ever written i think.

Did they delay their arrival for an hour down there as well? The guys in the ambassador sound desk only had franz ferdinand cd to play between acts so by the time the boys showed up at 10.05pm everyone was well and truly fed up of alex kapranos & co.!

I agree 100% regarding Looking Glass.

Hibrazil were on around 8:40 ? until 9:15, something like that, then The La's came on at 10 finished at 11, didn't really notice the delay really. I sent in a bit of a review to NME thats getting published in tomorrows magazine in some shape or format, possibly two lines, but its a claim to fame!

nice one. must do that sometime.

I think the only reason they were interested was because it was their first gig back, the venue was a good bit short of a sellout, what was the crowd like in the Ambassador?

it was a full house. most people sang along to the better known tracks too which made for a decent atmosphere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement