Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats The Point?

Options
  • 21-04-2005 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭

Just watching a program on the telly about geography and stuff. Talking about a vine that grows around a tree and suffocates it (like some girlfriends). Whats the point to its existance? If it dont have a reason then why should we?
    :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I suggest you try here Pighead whats the point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Pighead wrote:
    Just watching a program on the telly about geography and stuff. Talking about a vine that grows around a tree and suffocates it (like some girlfriends). Whats the point to its existance? If it dont have a reason then why should we?

Biologically its "point" is to grow and reproduce and provide a safe environment for its offspring to grow.

Biologically our "point" is to grow and to reproduce, provide a safe environment for our offspring to grow.

Good enough answer for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Wicknight wrote:
    Biologically its "point" is to grow and reproduce and provide a safe environment for its offspring to grow.

Biologically our "point" is to grow and to reproduce, provide a safe environment for our offspring to grow.

Good enough answer for you?

Yes!
    You have opened my eyes and i can see the light once more.
    Thank you sir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Eoghan-psych

Pighead wrote:

We don't have a "reason" either - just a cause. Nature doesn't give a proverbial airborn copulation about us - as famously put by [iirc] Richard Dawkins, the universe is "pitilessly indifferent" to its contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

We don't have a "reason" either - just a cause. Nature doesn't give a proverbial airborn copulation about us - as famously put by [iirc] Richard Dawkins, the universe is "pitilessly indifferent" to its contents.

I think you can safely expand on Dawkin's remark and declare that "the universe is pitilessly indifferent to its contents and people are pitilessly indifferent to non-kin".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Pighead - this is the kind of thing that we talk about all the time in Lubnip. You should request access to it - I think you'd enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Macros42 wrote:
    Pighead - this is the kind of thing that we talk about all the time in Lubnip. You should request access to it - I think you'd enjoy it.
    Stay on target

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement